Solar Eclipse 2017 - August 21

Started by DoctorQuest, July 07, 2017, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

In 2024, we'll be in the path of the next eclipse. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

I haven't seen that projected path.  Don't expect I will be anywhere near it.  But if you are, you really should go.  It was awe inspiring.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

Glad you got to see it MD. I saw a total eclipse back in 1979 when I was 14, in Winnipeg. Very cool experience. My Dad kept my sister and I home from school because they were blacking out the windows and keeping kids inside.  #:-)

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 07:32:38 PM
I haven't seen that projected path.  Don't expect I will be anywhere near it.  But if you are, you really should go.  It was awe inspiring.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

If you look at the top of first T in the word Total for the 'Center Line of Total Eclipse' that's right where my house is. 

Start making your plans to pitch a tent in my yard!

http://static.squarespace.com/static/5115d365e4b0b8b2ffe27887/t/53443849e4b0a363b95914ad/1396979815396/

Sir Slash

Done! I'll bring the smores. And wear pants.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 21, 2017, 09:45:14 PM
Done! I'll bring the smores. And wear pants.  O0

Pants are optional in 2024
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on August 21, 2017, 08:55:42 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 07:32:38 PM

I'm still within driving distance, but much more than the 2 and 3 hours I put in today.

Quote from: Barthheart on August 21, 2017, 08:50:05 PM
Glad you got to see it MD. I saw a total eclipse back in 1979 when I was 14, in Winnipeg. Very cool experience. My Dad kept my sister and I home from school because they were blacking out the windows and keeping kids inside.  #:-)

I saw that one, too.  Just not the totality.  Never knew how different an experience that was until today.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MikeGER

how cool is that!
International Space Station captured in partial eclipse  pic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

The Jimmy and Sam show were commenting on some of the dumbasses posting videos about the eclipse...as well as the stupid-ass CNN interview with Bonnie Tyler and her 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' song that she sung on an...eclipse cruise, I guess?  :pullhair:

bbmike

Here's a picture I took in Nashville just before the sun was completely covered. There was a huge cloud blocking the sun before but as it got darker the clouds started doing weird thing (swirling, changing, and disappearing). The cloud was completely gone just as the total eclipse started. It was awesome! I took this picture with my iPhone and no filter. Yes, it was that dark.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers