Solar Eclipse 2017 - August 21

Started by DoctorQuest, July 07, 2017, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

I am very lucky to be only about 2 hours away from the area of totality. Our plans right now are to camp out the night before so we are not dealing with travel time the day of the eclipse. I already have "eclipse glasses" for the family.

A truly once in a lifetime event and as a space and astronomy geek I will not miss it.

Anyone else have plans?

Info: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

I would love to do that!  I'm about 2 hours from the path.  Unfortunately, work is in the forecast that day.  We'll see how things look closer to the date.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MikeGER

i would like to be so vain
to fly my Learjet to North Carolina to see the total eclipse of the sun...   ^-^

but unfortunately i don't own one, not even in X-Plane10, and not the funds spare for a spontaneous generic tourist visit :-\ 

bayonetbrant

We know a bunch of folks down in South Carolina that we might drive down to hang with and see it from one of 'ems back yard.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

Quote from: MetalDog on July 07, 2017, 11:34:18 PM
I would love to do that!  I'm about 2 hours from the path.  Unfortunately, work is in the forecast that day.  We'll see how things look closer to the date.

I suggest you ignore work for a day.   It is an amazing experience and it is not like you get this chance every year...
If you can watch it from an elevation you can see the shadow approach you from a distance.
No photo or movie can show you the real thing.   If you're not in the path of totality it just isn't the same.

OJsDad

Schools back in session that day.  But our science teachers are planning a viewing with the students, even though we're pretty far off the path.  They're got eclipse glasses for all of students, except for those k-2.  They're worried they're more likely to take them off and look at the eclipse.

Here's a map of the eclipse path.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 08, 2017, 07:14:16 AM

I suggest you ignore work for a day.   It is an amazing experience and it is not like you get this chance every year...
If you can watch it from an elevation you can see the shadow approach you from a distance.
No photo or movie can show you the real thing.   If you're not in the path of totality it just isn't the same.

Gotta agree here MD, if can at all play hooky and go experience the eclipse do it. I got to experience one in 1979 in Winnipeg in Feb I think. My Dad kept us home from school so we could watch it from home and out side.
It Was Feb. I think and had snowed really hard the days leading up, so much that a bunch of folks from South Dakota that had made hotel reservations to come and see the eclipse, cancelled them because "the snow banks were going to Ben too high to see the eclipse"!
Very cool to be outside when it happens because nature reacts in strange ways as totality happens.

Any of you that are going to watch it, you can use #14 welding googles to look through. These are usually pretty cheap to buy... but get them ahead of time because they sell out nearer the event.

bbmike

Heading to a friend's house in Nashville to watch. I saw one years ago and it is worth seeing again.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

You're not lookin' too good, MD. I think you need some time off. :)

I'm a doctor, right? Want me to write you a note?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 08, 2017, 08:34:27 AM

I think you're right.  Thanks, Doc  O0

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

I saw one here when I was about 13. Nothing like the eerie experience of the birds all coming in to roost suddenly and then taking to wing again in about 30 min. I can see how ancient peoples would attach the supernatural to these events. Very memorable and in-like anything else I can remember since.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RedArgo

We rented a shelter at a park and we're taking the kids out of school and driving a few hours south to southern Illinois to watch.  I can't wait to see it.  Hope the weather cooperates.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: RedArgo on July 08, 2017, 09:19:23 AM
Hope the weather cooperates.

That is honestly my biggest concern. Nebraska weather can be fickle.

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on July 08, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 08, 2017, 08:34:27 AM

I'm a real Doctor, not just a cartoon character.  I can write you a note.

Not going to go and see this.  I saw one when I was a young kid.  They are interesting if you have never experienced one.

I think you're right.  Thanks, Doc  O0

DoctorQuest

^ Thank you real Doctor Buzzkill.  :notworthy:  ;D

Actually I did want to write him a note. Can you imagine handing a note to your boss referencing someone named "MetalDog" and signed by Dr. Benton Quest? They would probably let you take a day for psychiatric evaluation.