Main Menu

Deep Rock Galactic

Started by Jarhead0331, June 26, 2017, 06:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Played the game a little, early this evening, as a scout mining alone by myself in the easy area.

Protip: do not waste ammo on the little things. Pickaxe them. You aren't going home without the mineral budget you were sent to retrieve, and if you run out of ammo... well, actually I think you can send for more ammo, but I'm not sure the functionality is there.

Also, I would have had to be clever about getting the last vein of what I needed to call the drill back. But see protip above. ;)  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Well i never made it back, got a lot in the mule but the spiders ganged up on me....a lot of spiders. I can see you definitely need someone to watch your back. The zip line is cool, i zipped out of a group of spiders kept hitting me with the blinding web crap then I whipped out the big gun and went to work. Regenerating health is the right move for this game. The hit box for the ax is a bit off,  I'd like an arrow on the map to show which way your facing. The guns need to be beefier, the ax also...i'm a dwarf i should be carrying a big ass nasty looking pick ax. The game does a good job of giving you a claustrophobic feeling of going underground  and after the spiders sneak up on you a few times your glancing around constantly. The web blinding might be a little overdone and need to be toned down a bit. I used the explodey plants to take out the spiders when i could. I got lost a bit, don't think i'd be good on point. It's an alpha so a lot of settings/adjustments are missing, thats to be expected. I am having trouble with the controls, i dont use w,a,s,d usually and you cant remap right now. Game ran solid, didn't experience any FPS drops or crashes. Some of the explodey plants were hanging in mid air but other than that didnt notice anything.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

jomni

Looks really fun. But I don't have friends.

JasonPratt

If you have a Steam account, you can get instant friends from the Grogheads group!  :hug: I'm "Sabreman", but most of us use the same Steam and forum names.

The game is still in closed alpha tho.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Budd -- yeah after that first mission I was thinking, "We should get one more alpha key for Martok...!"  >:D

JasonPratt

Asid and I played 3 or 4 missions tonight, with Budd joining in on the last one which ran a little over an hour. (The others were shorter, smaller maps.) This was a 'main' mission with bugs attacking from the outset and with a fully random and quite vertical "sphere" of a map. ...uh, come to think of it, we had a party wipe on our first attempt, as we all got tongued to death! (Not a euphamism.)

We very nearly had a party wipe in the second attempt as well, with a bunch of dangerous holes near our landing site that were fatal to fall into. Fortunately, once down, a dwarf can be restored by a comrade once in proximity. The camera is still active, but no dwarf abilities, so the fallen player can talk in others but really the others have to scan for him and be careful not to get into the same trouble! (See: wiped by tongues.)

Mental note to ask how Asid gets so many alpha keys...!

We all had a fun time, even though strictly speaking we were just mining 3 mineral types and shooting spiders with the occasional flying electric jellyfish. Obviously the game doesn't have neaaarrrllllyyyy the depth of 7 Days to Die or Fortresscraft: Evolved, but it's not those kinds of games either despite the voxel digging (and occasional long falls in the oppressive dark). It's more like Helldivers with more exploration and somewhat less shooting.

-budd-

Think we all died in about 10 minutes :2funny:.....beware the big holes and poison gas. Much better on the second run, mission accomplished. Curious to see what other enemy variety there is in the game. Game ran solid except for few clipping issues, there's a good base for some fun coop games, although i still want beefier guns O0 but i do love the zipline gun.

JasonPratt

Come to think of it, did we have two party wipes?? Poison gas and falls took down me and someone else (you and/or Asid), but those things from Half Life definitely killed all four of us at one point.

-budd-

I should be able to put some time into the game this evening (PST) if anyone catches me on steam give a holla.

JasonPratt

I was on a lot last night, but didn't ping various people when I saw them on.  :-[

-budd-

No worries, worked a long day didn't game just browsed for a bit. Hope to catch you on this weekend.

Yskonyn

Finally got around to playing this game after a friend kept on telling me to get it.
Frankly, I can't believe I haven't earlier! It's become my game of the year instantly with its clever gameplay loop, its humour and its friendly community.
I've played about 30 missions now and not once I've ran into people who didn't help, let alone be douchebags.
On the contrary; it seems the community has their own etiquette that seems to be followed; always greet a newly joining player, never just push the end mission button before asking if anyone still needs something; seeing you are a new player people are giving you friendly advise and tips during the mission. It's all pretty great!

It also helps that the game makes this stuff easy with some QoL features like a marker system and easy emoting as well as a social space to have fun with in between missions. And the built in voice chat helps as well. Many people seem to use it in my 2-day experience now.

It would be an AWESOME romp with some Grogs as well by the way!
Great 4-player co-op fun!! Recommended heartily!   :bd: :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Drop me a line if you'd like to drop mine!

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 01, 2020, 07:36:33 PM
Drop me a line if you'd like to drop mine!

I always host mp, so whenever you see me in-game, feel free to join!  O0
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

I greatly second Ysk's review of the game, by the way, and gladly encourage fellows to go for it if you even suspect you may like the game!

(Single-player is reasonably balanced as well, btw.)