2017 Steam Summer Sale

Started by Greybriar, June 11, 2017, 06:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 23, 2017, 11:13:42 AM
I was sheepish to join this thread when all the Farm Simulator puns were flying around, but now that we're no longer soiling the board with such trash, I have a question for you all.

Which is a better bargain:  X-Com 2 at $19.79 or TW: Warhammer at $20.39?

I know you blokes would recommend both, but my family just got back from a vacation to the Big Island in Hawaii.  While it was fantastic, and one of the best vacations in my life, it was not cheap!  And the job offer that was materializing three weeks ago has somehow been trapped in the transporter buffer, so I'm on thin ice with Mrs. FarAway to spend too much.

Which leads me back to my original question:  Which one is a more compelling and high-quality time suck?  I'm leaning towards TW, unless the AI is dumb as a box of rocks and the battles just start to feel like grinding...

My vote would go to Warhammer which I have and enjoy a lot.  The strategic ai can make some dumb mistakes once in a while but the combat ai is fairly good.  Keep in mind though that combat in the total war series was never my strong suit as I perform better on the strategic map.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

We started farming all our puns out to Mexican contactors.

Oops.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Juan just sent this one in for me, "This is a 'field' I am not familiar with". Now he wants his Bitcoin. What do I tell him?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

FarAway Sooner

You guys need to reign in your enthusiasm here and get back to my whole TW: Warhammer vs X-Com2 question!

JasonPratt

Quote from: -budd- on June 23, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
Quote from: Raied on June 23, 2017, 04:51:04 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 23, 2017, 02:55:13 AM
Command Ops 2 modules are 50% off.

Yes thats a good deal going to get Foothills of the Gods Module.
Thinking about picking up westwall, its the only one I don't have. Waiting to see if the LnL store has a sale. If there on target the steam keys for previous purchases are supposed to be available today.

Coincidentally.  ::)

(Panther Games has been pounded hard on the forums for putting off getting the Steam key situation resolved. My bet was not until Patton's Charge!)

Foothills is definitely the best module for new players, with the lowest unit-count missions (totally and by average); consistently interesting terrain; early-war bling to train for later on; in a theater that hasn't been gamed to death.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 23, 2017, 01:52:23 PM
You guys need to reign in your enthusiasm here and get back to my whole TW: Warhammer vs X-Com2 question!

TW:W certainly has more variety, although XC2 isn't lacking. TW:W has a larger swatch of better mods, too (although XC2 isn't lacking for good mods, especially Long War 2.)

The gameplay is super-different in each, as are the topics (and associated art), so if one of those isn't decisive I'd agree with the earlier TW:W recommendation.

Note however that production on TW:W has basically ended while the devs are working on TW:W2, whereas XC2 is about to release its first truly major expansion (other DLCs being bling really) -- not as much of a gamechanger as XC1's Enemy Within, but still development is continuing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, in my email inbox: 254 games on my wishlist are on sale.  :hide:

bobarossa

I am a first time participant in the Steam Sale Madness.  I have Endless Space Collection ($5) and Stardrive 2 Gold Pack ($9) in my cart at the moment.  Any opinions on which of these two to keep?

I also have Empire TW ($5) in the cart.  I expect to use mods to make it playable.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 23, 2017, 02:25:52 PM
Meanwhile, in my email inbox: 254 games on my wishlist are on sale.  :hide:

And you people think *I* need an intervention?

LOL

I "only" have 103 on my wishlist on sale right now.  :bd:

Tpek

My wishlist was 518 at the time of the sale's start.

BanzaiCat

:notworthy:

I am definitely not worthy of this thread. Suddenly I feel marginally better about my gaming habits.

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 23, 2017, 03:50:49 PM
:notworthy:

I am definitely not worthy of this thread. Suddenly I feel marginally better about my gaming habits.

You really shouldn't ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Hancock

Weak I am.............think I just covered every rainy day and all of the coming winter.....what was I thinking... :-[
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

-budd-

Quote from: Hancock on June 23, 2017, 04:38:37 PM
Weak I am.............think I just covered every rainy day and all of the coming winter.....what was I thinking... :-[

Details...so the rest of us can feel better about our gaming gluttony. I'm strangely struggling with buying anything, the cart has a few items but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.