4E D&D

Started by Bison, June 06, 2017, 09:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

4e is the only version of D&D I haven't played, but I have the opportunity to pick up like 8 or 9 books for about $80.  I'm seriously considering it just to round out the collection, but of course I also want to play it if I buy it.

I understand from my brief read through why it's considered a mini combat system.  The powers and monster text boxes read like a minis wargame.  What I don't get is the criticism that it doesn't do out of combat stuff very well.  No system does that well, because that's where IMO the RPG happens.

Anyway anyone have an opinion on it?

Bison

FWIW the books I can get are PHB, DMG, MM 1&2, Arcane and marital powers books, some equipment book and one other that I cannot remember.

bayonetbrant

I love it. It's my favorite version on D&D after the old BECMI version. I like the way many of the attacks/powers/feats interact and the fact that many of them are weapon-agnostic (shades of the old FSRP from Better Games).

When you level up, there are actual tangible, noticeable benefits to doing so. The at-will powers really give each character some differentiation in combat, and make MU's much more survivable at lower levels.

Now, it's hard to play w/o map & minis b/c of the combat setup, but that never bothered me.

There's plenty of ways to do skill tests outside of combat too, that you can integrate into your role-playing.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I don't mind the minis and map, because we often use those anyway.  I got one of those chessex vinyl mats with 1" and 1 1/2" squares.  We use a mix of minis and Pathfinder pawns.  Total side bar, but the Pathfinder pawn boxes are an outstanding bargain tons of "minis" for really good price.

The only hesitation I have is that the this edition doesn't seem very friendly to converting other D&D or D20 system stuff into the game.  However, I think the combat systems seems pretty sweet and would be fun just to do tactical squad sized skirmishes.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2017, 10:27:22 AMHowever, I think the combat systems seems pretty sweet and would be fun just to do tactical squad sized skirmishes.

You could pick up some of the older versions of the D&D minis game, as it's essentially the skirmish combat w/ the role-playing / leveling up stripped out.

https://www.amazon.com/Miniatures-Game-Starter-Product/dp/0786947543/
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2017, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2017, 10:27:22 AMHowever, I think the combat systems seems pretty sweet and would be fun just to do tactical squad sized skirmishes.

You could pick up some of the older versions of the D&D minis game, as it's essentially the skirmish combat w/ the role-playing / leveling up stripped out.

I could but I also have a D&D collecting problem.  D&D has and will always be my favorite tabletop and RPG.  So I part of my desire for the books is collector related, but I also do want to run a campaign too if I purchase the books.

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2017, 10:33:36 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Miniatures-Game-Starter-Product/dp/0786947543/

Whoa!  They want a ton of money for that product.  I have some of the minis from that game.  We use them in our RPG games.  Decent for pre-painted minis.

bbmike

Someone here claims you can get tons of good minis at Origins.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2017, 10:49:56 AM
Someone here claim you can get tons of good minis at Origins.  :-"

I have heard similar claims.  I wish I could get there this year, but that's just not going to happen. Now I'm sad thanks Mike...

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2017, 09:41:05 AM
I understand from my brief read through why it's considered a mini combat system.  The powers and monster text boxes read like a minis wargame.  What I don't get is the criticism that it doesn't do out of combat stuff very well.  No system does that well, because that's where IMO the RPG happens.

I never understood criticism of it's "out of combat" systems. 

D&D never really had good narrative non-combat systems built in.  In any version.  Had to just RP it as you saw fit. 

Always thought it was more like a minis skirmish rule system to use with some RP, even before 4E.   I suppose for those people who've only really done D&D, of which there seems to be quite a few, the differences may have seemed a stark contrast from other versions.   ;D   

They probably just disliked change, itself.  There were those who didn't like the changes in 3E either.

EDIT:  I'm not saying that I like 4E.  Or that I even played it, because I haven't.  But devoted D&D players have a reputation for being rigidly against trying different things.  So when they happen to their favorite RPG, there will be much gnashing of teeth.

Bison

I didn't like the change from AD&D to 2e AD&D.  I refused to play 2e for years.

Bison

OMFG!  The magic items are in the PHB and there are no tables for random treasure generation.  I don't DM to do work like creating treasure parcels!

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2017, 03:47:41 PM
OMFG!  The magic items are in the PHB and there are no tables for random treasure generation.  I don't DM to do work like creating treasure parcels!

::)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I'm trying to come to terms with my first world problem right now.  On the bright side, I got them down to $60 for the lot of books.  So less than $8 a book, which is not too shabby.  Of course they had a good laugh, no one plays that any more! Hahaha.

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on June 06, 2017, 04:07:32 PM
I'm trying to come to terms with my first world problem right now.  On the bright side, I got them down to $60 for the lot of books.  So less than $8 a book, which is not too shabby.  Of course they had a good laugh, no one plays that any more! Hahaha.

You could start a play by post game here! I might start a Star Trek Adventures one once it releases. And no, mirth, you may NOT play a Horta Ensign.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak