The World's Greatest Trash Heap?

Started by besilarius, May 31, 2017, 06:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/oxyrhynchus-ancient-egypts-most-literate-trash-heap?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=atlas-page

After reading this, all I could think of was Lou Zocchi racing through the SPI warehouse saving what he could before the pulpers seized it all.
Wonder what happened to the Avalon Hill stocks after Hasbro got them?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

That's pretty cool.

I recall reading about Oxyrhynchus somewhere.  But not necessarily it's trash heaps full of papyrus writings.  Herodotus perhaps?  Or maybe mentioned in something to do with the Ptolemaic period since the name implies that was it's heyday.

Their online translation volunteer tool is interesting.  Although it's not currently running.  :-\

JasonPratt

In my other line of work ;) , Oxyrhynchus is famous for providing several famous papyrus Christian fragments, including some relatively large swatches like much of the Coptic Gospel of Thomas (not itself a very large text, being less than 115 verses iirc.) Despite the article, most of them aren't "biblical" -- they weren't part of an accepted canon, but were just one-offs and assimilations of other texts. The late ultra-dean of textual criticism, Bruce Metzger, was referring to the trash heap of Oxyrhynchus when he quipped that when the Romans come to your door to search your house for Christian texts, and offer clemency if you provide them now, it made a difference whether you gave them GosThom or GosJohn. Which one was more expendable? -- which one would get you in more trouble if they caught you with it later? -- which one would get you in more trouble if you handed it over anyway?

Still, most of the few quotes attributed to Jesus that might feasibly go back to Jesus, which aren't included in the canon, come from the Oxy papyrus somewhere.

As the article notes, there's a massive treasure trove of other historical and socio-cultural data there, too.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!