Sudden Strike 4 pre-purchase and Beta entry on Steam

Started by Barthheart, May 30, 2017, 09:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2017, 05:52:02 PM
Unit facing can be controlled but the formation controls are very poor. You can roughly group units together when issuing move orders, but I haven't discovered any option to have units form up in line, column, wedge, echelon, etc. This would have been a simple, and very welcome addition.

On the console version, there is a rudimentary mechanism for formation control.. probably the same as the PC "hold and drag in a particular direction", and that is the depth to which you "drag" in any direction. The formation can go from a wide line, clustered multi-line "box", to a two vehicle column. This apply more analogue stick as you hold the 'O' button, can be tricky to pull off the formation you want in the heat of action. I presume there is a similar mechanism on the PC, involving click and dragging perhaps? It's not ideal, but you can go from line to column if you're particularly nimble enough :)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: spelk on August 14, 2017, 03:20:27 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2017, 05:52:02 PM
Unit facing can be controlled but the formation controls are very poor. You can roughly group units together when issuing move orders, but I haven't discovered any option to have units form up in line, column, wedge, echelon, etc. This would have been a simple, and very welcome addition.

On the console version, there is a rudimentary mechanism for formation control.. probably the same as the PC "hold and drag in a particular direction", and that is the depth to which you "drag" in any direction. The formation can go from a wide line, clustered multi-line "box", to a two vehicle column. This apply more analogue stick as you hold the 'O' button, can be tricky to pull off the formation you want in the heat of action. I presume there is a similar mechanism on the PC, involving click and dragging perhaps? It's not ideal, but you can go from line to column if you're particularly nimble enough :)

Yes. There is something similar on pc,  and rudimentary is one way of putting it. I dont find it effective or really that useful.  Maybe I'm not using it right?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

spelk

IIRC in order to keep your armour moving in a column down a road, say, you have to get them into column formation first and then your move or attack-move order also would require you to select the column formation again..

I don't think the tools are there to keep efficient formation, but there is at least some sort of formation control, if you want to line up your armour on a ridge or your arty etc.. using an analogue thumbstick to position 88's, and unlimber them and then make sure their facing is correct can be a bit of a ball ache. I suspect using the PC version here would help a bit. Grouping them all, and giving a group unlimber doesn't seem to work that well on the console.

I've enjoyed what I've played of it, the "multiplayer" leaves a bit to be desired at the moment (on the consoles at least).

It:

1) Only has 4 small maps, with about 6 bases on it (some field stations, some railway stations - for bringing in reinforcements in groups of 5, some beach locations bringing in single units)

2) No private match setup for comp stomps with friends - always being jumped in by random strangers

3) Networking (on consoles) seems a bit flakey, sometimes a co-op game can split, and you'll be in seperate games mid-game

4) Swarm reinforcement camps, to drain the CPU dry

Greybriar

I fired up Sudden Strike 4 yesterday to give it a try. I began with the Tutorials. I can't quite put my finger on it, but *something* about the Tutorial really irritated me. So much so that I didn't finish the Tutorials or play a game. I exited it and haven't fired it up since.

I will probably give it another try sometime, but I've got other games to play that I have found more enjoyable.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Greybriar on August 14, 2017, 10:52:53 AM
I fired up Sudden Strike 4 yesterday to give it a try. I began with the Tutorials. I can't quite put my finger on it, but *something* about the Tutorial really irritated me. So much so that I didn't finish the Tutorials or play a game. I exited it and haven't fired it up since.

I will probably give it another try sometime, but I've got other games to play that I have found more enjoyable.

That's odd...tutorial was pretty brief and non-offensive in my view.

I would just jump into the campaign and see how you feel. I don't think the tutorial is a necessary prerequisite to playing the game anyway.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Any more thoughts after a few days ? (posting about this game quickly died out)

It is sold on Kinguin for €23.75 ... (legit ?)   https://www.kinguin.net/category/35640/sudden-strike-4-steam-cd-key/

Yskonyn

I am liking the SP campaigns. Skirmish is not my thing though.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Greybriar

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 22, 2017, 10:10:17 AM
Any more thoughts after a few days ? (posting about this game quickly died out)

It is sold on Kinguin for €23.75 ... (legit ?)   https://www.kinguin.net/category/35640/sudden-strike-4-steam-cd-key/

I ran across this video that might throw some light on Sudden Strike 4 for you:

As for whether Kinguin is legit or not, I don't know. But I don't buy games from Kinguin to be on the safe side.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Greybriar on August 23, 2017, 01:01:31 AM

I ran across this video that might throw some light on Sudden Strike 4 for you:

Thanks.

I'll leave it for now.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Barthheart

sandman2575

And those Pz IVGs are none too historical, neither...

SS4 wears its video-gamey-ness on its sleeve. It's definitely fun, but not the place to go for strict fidelity to historical detail...

Jarhead0331

New patch adds 360 degrees of camera rotation and increased zoom out range. I haven't tried it out yet, but these two major additions could be significant game changers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 08, 2018, 07:33:35 PM
New patch adds 360 degrees of camera rotation and increased zoom out range. I haven't tried it out yet, but these two major additions could be significant game changers.

Wow -- the lack of full rotational camera was a major gripe of mine. This is good news.