Main Menu

Far Cry 5

Started by Tpek, May 27, 2017, 03:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I don't play shooters.

My Falcon comes with a code for a free copy of Far Cry 5.

Is there a stupidly easy mode in this game?  I mean really, really stupidly easy?  If not, I need to trade this for something else.

JudgeDredd

There are only 3 settings but the lowest difficulty setting in this is very easy
Alba gu' brath

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: airboy on April 20, 2018, 09:38:35 AM
I don't play shooters.

My Falcon comes with a code for a free copy of Far Cry 5.

Is there a stupidly easy mode in this game?  I mean really, really stupidly easy?  If not, I need to trade this for something else.

I'd happily trade something of equal value if you're not keen on killing cultists!

JasonPratt

Ditto! -- I just don't think I have anything of equal value.  :-\

...I have the full anime series of Rah-Xephon on DVD? How about all the (extant) Doctor Who DVDs up through the end of the 3rd Doctor?

... .....this is going to get pitiful quickly...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

You know, I can be a cynical person.  I'm sometimes accused of being a bit nihilistic on my outlook.  But woah....I'm sunshine and daisies compared to what I just experienced.

I'll say this without spoiling the good ending, which I just got.  But, don't read further if you don't want my gut reaction spoiled.  Not going to say what happened, just how it made me feel. 

[spoiler]
The "Good" ending is so nihilistic, dark, upsetting and such a kick in the groin that it really just makes me strongly dislike everything I put in the game.  It's an interesting choice for sure, but man, it goes above and beyond. 

I'm glad I played this on a Friday, I'm drinking a lot. 

Uninstalling too.  I can't ever see myself playing this again, not even for entertainment value of random action.  I really just feel sort of oily and bad for even participating.[/spoiler]

So yeah, there's Far Cry 5.   Out of the spoiler tag, if you're thinking of jumping in please note that this game will not make you want to ever play it again when the credits roll.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 20, 2018, 10:06:56 PM
Ditto! -- I just don't think I have anything of equal value.  :-\

...I have the full anime series of Rah-Xephon on DVD? How about all the (extant) Doctor Who DVDs up through the end of the 3rd Doctor?

... .....this is going to get pitiful quickly...

My wife is a big Dr. Dingbat fan and the DVDs through the end of Doc 3 would probably appeal to her.

airboy

I guess I should clarify what I would like for Far Cry 5.

FC5 has no value to me.  None.

I would accept board games, RPGs I've not played, Strategy Games I've not played, War Games I've not played. 
Just PM me what you want.  I'm not looking for an equal retail dollar trade - just something that I would actually enjoy.

I probably cannot take books because I'm so picky due to my allergy issues.

ArizonaTank

I have pretty much given up on the game at about 3/5 of the way through.  The breaking issue for me are the inane boss missions... 

I am in the northern county...and have been suddenly captured three times now.  Each time I am put through this dream like shooter sequence where I am timed...basically I have to run through a maze, shooting anything that moves.  If I don't make the time...the boss tells me something like, 'not good enough...try again'.  Each time, it gets harder, but it is the same fricken maze.... of course, the game does not allow progress to be saved here.  I usually have to go through it about five times before I can get out of the sequence. 

The breaker is...for the third "capture"...I was flying a helicopter...not a cultist in sight...the screen faded and suddenly I found myself in the maze again.  The repetitive and unimaginative "captures" have just become too much...  Putting the player through a mandatory sequence over and over again is just lazy on the part of the designers...

For me...no longer "fun"...becoming "work"...I'm out...

Don't get me wrong...I still like the game...it was a great ride to get this far...and I feel like I got my money's worth...but I just can't finish it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

I agree.  The forced captures are the worst design decision they made with the game.  In a game where freedom is a big selling point, removing said freedom should never be on the table when you're putting together a game. 

That said, after playing through it all, I'd hesitate to call Jacob's part lazy.  I thought it was at first as well, but then I realized what I was happening and where I kept running through on the "Only You" Missions.   Unfortunately there wasn't anything I could do to stop where I knew it was inevitably going.  I just had to wait for the last one that I knew would inevitably turn out to be "real". 

But no, while it had a good story reason, it wasn't really fun.  Faith's region is a little more forgiving on this, you can choose when to interact with her, but only to a point.  Push the liberation meter far enough and she'll come get you as well.   Her sequences are just straight story though, only the last one involves action.

But, it's pointless anyway.  If you're really putting it down, just go to youtube and watch the "Good/Resist" ending (Make sure you pick resist, most youtube videos incorrectly list the bad ending as the good one).  You won't pick it back up again.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

I get the impression the game is really a Montana prepper sandbox fighter, developed that way first for fun -- including multiplayer co-op fun -- and then the story was wedged into it (possibly in some rush). Some of the boggling design decisions only make 'sense' (for want of a better word) from that perspective. Oh, and the co-op ran short of time, too, so the co-op coding is VERY LITERALLY nothing more or other than piggy-backing on the AI helper coding. So your co-op partner takes the place of one of the two AI helper slots (with all the lack of story this naturally entails), and essentially becomes a more autonomous bot with all the limitations of the bots.

This may be a case where the special DLC alternate-continuity missions will be more satisfying overall than the main storyline.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

I don't think the story was tacked on.  It actually seems very calculated.  It's dark, it's nihilistic, it's in some ways hypocritical, but it's calculated. 

It was the inevitable creep that started with Far Cry 2.  The games always wanted you to question right and wrong, and increasingly became devoted to the villains.  Far Cry 3 was the best of that, with Brody not at all being portrayed as being good for his killing spree, and his violent actions aren't excused and take a toll. 

But Far Cry 5 takes to a level that's past the others.  It's so cynical and bleak that it's hard to accept at the end.  But it is NOT random.  It's very calculated.  They do seed the end throughout the game, they do hint at it constantly.  Just listen to the radio news reports.  It's hard to actually hear them, but take time and listen.  It's all in there.

As to the rest of the gameplay, yeah, some if it may have been rushed.  And yes, the DLC might actually be better as a story than the main game. 

However, the end of the main game does taint any DLC.  Heck, it taints Far Cry 3 and 4 too, because they all share the same world.  It manages to drag everything since Far Cry 3 into a pretty deep depressing morass. 

JudgeDredd

I'm only a third of the way through and I get the same impression as Andrew - that the story is really embedded into the game. You can jump in and out but the story is there for you to find everywhere.

As for being captured. Initially this pissed me off but then I got to thinking it was keeping you "in the story". Just reminding you, in case you had forgotten, that you've to get back on track.

I don't like them...especially being timed - but I digged that they were put there. IIRC it was the same in the other Far Cry games.
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

The farther away I get from playing this game, the better I feel. 

I guess it's because I was a child of the 80's and grew up with Threads and The Day After.

Apocalypse 31

This jam is the best thing to come out of FC5:

Jarhead0331

You guys see this? Interesting...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18