Lindsey Ellis vs Michael Bay's Transformers series vs Film Theory

Started by JasonPratt, May 25, 2017, 12:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Lindsey, aka the Nostalgia Chick (an internet film critic darling, well worth watching if you haven't done so yet), has decided to teach a(n informal) course on film theory, with the challenge of using Michael Bay's Transformer films as the central example for each episode.

Ep 3 is the best so far, and explains succinctly (and with quirky humor) why so many people have trouble parsing what's going on in the films -- which, I realized, also directly connects with why the films are such popular moneymakers anyway, although she barely or never touches on that specifically.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

QuoteLindsey Stirling vs Michael Bay's Transformers series vs Film Theory

I think you're getting your internet Lindseys mixed up. Lindsey Ellis is 'Nostalgia Chick'. Lindsey Stirling plays violin.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Wow, man my neurons have been dropping dead at a troubling rate!  :hide: :-[

What's worse, I actually went to the trouble to triple-check that! -- or so I thought.

Fixed.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Time for Part 4: "what genre does Transformers even fall into, and how has Transformers... Trannsss...formed... .... genre? ...I planned that."

JasonPratt

Goes rather much farther into Male Gaze theory than I was expecting.

...wait, was there an episode 5?  ???

JasonPratt

Oh, yeah... it's a part 1 of... more parts to come? I guess?

It's as interesting as the others, despite the fact that I totally forgot it exists.

JasonPratt

And now Episode 7, which is part 3 of Feminist Theory, of which Part 2 was, uh, male gaze, I guess.

"And now, at long last, it's time to talk about Mikaela Baines, the most well-rounded and worthwhile character in the Transformers film series. ... ..... what?"

I had never noticed she was named after Michael Bay.  ::)

I have however long thought that the series ought to have been about her in the main lead, perhaps as the daughter of the alpha team commander.