Decades Feeder Bracket - 1971 Final 4

Started by MetalDog, May 18, 2017, 07:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Well, it looks like I got this one as close to right as possible.  The only top seed missing is the 4 and I don't think anyone would argue with Zeppelin being the consolation prize/lowest remaining seed.  Of the four songs left, I think the toughest battle will be The Who v. Led Zeppelin.  Both bands have rabid partisans.  Both songs are representative of what each group was capable of.  Looking forward to seeing the outcome.  As for Stones/Tull match, I just think that the styles are too different to make this any more than a mismatch.  I'll let you speculate on which way I lean.  :)

The 1/5

The 2/3

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Some years ago, there was a bit they were doing on a local radio show where the question was "If aliens landed on Earth and asked you 'what is this thing called rock & roll?' what song would you play them, if you only had 1 song to play"

Consensus was "Layla" would trump all, but one guy made a pretty compelling case for "Can You Hear Me Knocking?"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I'd be tempted to play them the Stranglers' 'Get a Grip on Yourself'

("But the money's no good...").

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 18, 2017, 07:29:37 PM
Some years ago, there was a bit they were doing on a local radio show where the question was "If aliens landed on Earth and asked you 'what is this thing called rock & roll?' what song would you play them, if you only had 1 song to play"

Consensus was "Layla" would trump all, but one guy made a pretty compelling case for "Can You Hear Me Knocking?"

Without arguing against the other choices,  I would add "Suzie Q" to that list.....simple repeated lyrics, sexual, great guitar rifts, heavy on the drum, it's about a girl....that's rock & roll right there, baybee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxaA-bJ35s