Advanced Platoon Leader

Started by Barthheart, May 11, 2017, 03:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Anyone else looking forward to this release?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/201516/advanced-platoon-leader

June 6, ordering opens up with a limited number of boxed and zip locked copies available. I'm probably just gonna get the PnP version... maybe build a VASSAL module for it as well as build the game... maybe even build a minis version if it's good enough.

The rules have just been posted in the file section, so go read them!

Just what I need is another squad level WWII game but this one is at least solo designed out of the gate.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Barthheart on May 11, 2017, 03:32:44 PM
Anyone else looking forward to this release?

Jason has been selling various self-published stuff for a while now. I only remember the name because his earliest artwork was simply pirated stuff which he's now replaced, apparently, with custom designed stuff. Not sure how big the design team is, but as always, buyer beware. No reason it couldn't be good - maybe you can tell us what you think once it's in your hands.

HSGAMES

Barthart and Michael,
The early days of H&S GAMES were admittedly rough going having started the company on my own in my girlfriend's college dorm room with little to no money or know how.  With Platoon Leader, all i knew is that I had a system that worked, but more, it was a system that i liked and wanted to make available.  The means to do so were extremely limited.  Along the way, kind souls from the community emerged to offer help, specifically with graphic design until i was ultimately able to land a kind of "in house" graphics person based out of Germany.  Robert Lenz has exceeded every expectation i could have since hopping on board and Advanced Platoon Leader marks the first game in which he has headed the entire graphic design/layout.  From that very first game, to Ostfront to APL to the future, i am doing everything i can to improve in all aspects of design/development and publishing.  I have learned quite a bit but still have much to learn.  To this end, i strive to make games that are fun and affordable and am always open to suggestions, constructive criticism, questions etc.  Together, we can continue to make the wargaming hobby the best hobby out there and for my part i am trying to be proactive rather than reactive.

bayonetbrant

Looking forward to seeing/reading Barth's impressions :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 19, 2017, 02:14:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing/reading Barth's impressions :)

As soon as I can get my grubby hands on it!  :D

Barthheart

Quote from: HSGAMES on May 19, 2017, 01:59:26 PM
Barthart and Michael,
The early days of H&S GAMES were admittedly rough going having started the company on my own in my girlfriend's college dorm room with little to no money or know how.  With Platoon Leader, all i knew is that I had a system that worked, but more, it was a system that i liked and wanted to make available.  The means to do so were extremely limited.  Along the way, kind souls from the community emerged to offer help, specifically with graphic design until i was ultimately able to land a kind of "in house" graphics person based out of Germany.  Robert Lenz has exceeded every expectation i could have since hopping on board and Advanced Platoon Leader marks the first game in which he has headed the entire graphic design/layout.  From that very first game, to Ostfront to APL to the future, i am doing everything i can to improve in all aspects of design/development and publishing.  I have learned quite a bit but still have much to learn.  To this end, i strive to make games that are fun and affordable and am always open to suggestions, constructive criticism, questions etc.  Together, we can continue to make the wargaming hobby the best hobby out there and for my part i am trying to be proactive rather than reactive.

Welcome and thanks for dropping by Jason!  O0
Looking forward to getting this on the table.

Barthheart

Got my PnP copy. Just need some time to assembly and get it on the table.

Might even write a review for Brant....

Richie61

Looking forward to the review. I have looked at APL a few times, but not sure if I would like it.
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

JudgeDredd

I'[d probably like a copy but delivery will probably be in the US - costing me a small fortune, so it's unlikely I'll pick one up.

Looking forward to the review though
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So how does Print and Play work? I've never done that before.

I know what it is - I'm just wondering what's involved by you as a purchaser. I presume you can just print the components onto paper and play? You could take it a stage further and mount the items onto card or blocks (for chits for example)? So basically making it as expensive as you need?

Never done it - and it sounds interesting...a board game - tactical too - for $9.99!  O0
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on June 09, 2017, 06:20:49 AM

Is that promised review #49?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2017, 05:13:55 PM

I know what it is - I'm just wondering what's involved by you as a purchaser. I presume you can just print the components onto paper and play? You could take it a stage further and mount the items onto card or blocks (for chits for example)? So basically making it as expensive as you need?

Never done it - and it sounds interesting...a board game - tactical too - for $9.99!  O0

The way I do it is to print the counters on single page stickers then stick that to a piece of 2mm mat board. Then cut out the counters with nice square corners.  ;)

This game uses map tiles rather than a map sheet so I've printed them on to card stock.

So it's $10 for the PDF game files, printer ink, full page stickers, card stock, and mat board. So maybe $25 altogether.

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2017, 05:24:11 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 09, 2017, 06:20:49 AM

Is that promised review #49?  :P

I've not promised anything... merely suggested that I might dain to write one.
Unlike mirth who still owes at least one.  :P

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on June 26, 2017, 09:03:59 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2017, 05:13:55 PM

The way I do it is to print the counters on single page stickers then stick that to a piece of 2mm mat board. Then cut out the counters with nice square corners.  ;)

This game uses map tiles rather than a map sheet so I've printed them on to card stock.

So it's $10 for the PDF game files, printer ink, full page stickers, card stock, and mat board. So maybe $25 altogether.
Thanks...bought it.

So $9.99 = £8.13!!! WTF!!

Having never bought Print and Play before, I was assuming a link after payment...is that not the case (I didn't get one)? Perhaps he processes them manually, hence taking some time for the details to come through?
Alba gu' brath