Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

Started by OJsDad, May 09, 2017, 04:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Also, many Republicans in congress and fully behind Trump.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 10, 2017, 10:06:54 AMI really feel Comey being fired is justifiable, but politically it's a terrible move.

yep
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Comey was not in charge of the investigation into Russia.  He had little to nothing directly to do with it.  And a number of subpoenas went to the Grand Jury in this investigation this week.  The investigation will not be shut down because Comey left.

Comey has made a bunch of miss-steps going back 5 years now.  The Wall St. Journal has been ripping him at least monthly for years.

I don't like special prosecutors.  They frequently launch fishing expeditions and go way off track.  Set up a special congressional committee if necessary.

Other than Flynn who got fired, nothing has come out about a conflict of interest - much less if the Trump Campaign coordinated with the Russians.  I'm not seeing any actual facts come out about Trump-Russia.  Lots of whining, but next to nothing concrete aside from Flynn and one low level campaign flunky who got canned by the Trump campaign months before the election.  And Flynn was not about the campaign, but about being a paid consultant on various Russian ventures.

Another thing we do know is that the Obama Administration spied on the Trump Campaign and then unmasked a large number of names and spread that unmasked information widely throughout the US Government and to key allies.  This has never been done before to my knowledge.  And the only people the Obama Admin told the Trump admin was tainted was Flynn.  But the number of US Citizens whose names were unmasked and widely spread was far greater than Flynn.

Until I see some actual facts, this seems to be sour grapes by the Dems once again.  But a Grand Jury is in process about something and if there is something there it will come out in the end.  But right now I see a lot of whining from Dems who have also gone public many times asking for Comey to get fired.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2017, 11:12:40 AM
We'll see, but I don't see this thing going away and the pressure for an independent investigator is only going to increase, especially if Trump tries to appoint a questionable replacement for Comey.

Apparently McConnell is saying that there's no need for a special prosecutor.  Wanna bet he'd be singing a different tune if Hillary was in office?

mirth

I don't think there will a special prosecutor. It will more like be a committee, or something, formed by the Senate.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 10, 2017, 11:27:24 AMI don't like special prosecutors.  They frequently launch fishing expeditions and go way off track.
Paging Ken Starr!

Quote from: airboy on May 10, 2017, 11:27:24 AMBut right now I see a lot of whining from Dems who have also gone public many times asking for Comey to get fired.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/05/10/democrats_can_despise_comey_and_be_outraged_at_his_firing.html

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 10, 2017, 11:30:08 AM
We'll see, but I don't see this thing going away and the pressure for an independent investigator is only going to increase, especially if Trump tries to appoint a questionable replacement for Comey.

Apparently McConnell is saying that there's no need for a special prosecutor.  Wanna bet he'd be singing a different tune if Hillary was in office?

He'll be singing a different tune if the public pressure mounts.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2017, 11:31:29 AM
I don't think there will a special prosecutor. It will more like be a committee, or something, formed by the Senate.

Under the control of the same party that's in control of the White House, which might find something, but it's pretty unlikely

Even if there's nothing there, you can't have a bunch of partisan hacks running the investigation

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2017, 11:33:06 AM

No he won't - he's got one of the safest seats in the Senate.  He doesn't give 2 shits what anyone outside of Kentucky thinks of him, and everyone in Kentucky loves him.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 10, 2017, 11:32:12 AM
Quote from: airboy on May 10, 2017, 11:27:24 AMI don't like special prosecutors.  They frequently launch fishing expeditions and go way off track.
Paging Ken Starr!

::) Yeah, there was nothing to the Clinton investigation.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 10, 2017, 11:34:02 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2017, 11:33:06 AM

No he won't - he's got one of the safest seats in the Senate.  He doesn't give 2 shits what anyone outside of Kentucky thinks of him, and everyone in Kentucky loves him.

It's not just his ass on the line.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 10, 2017, 11:33:17 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 10, 2017, 11:31:29 AM

Under the control of the same party that's in control of the White House, which might find something, but it's pretty unlikely

Even if there's nothing there, you can't have a bunch of partisan hacks running the investigation

It's far more likely the Senate will investigate than Sessions appointing any kind of Special Prosecutor/Counsel. And anyone appointed by the AG is going to be every bit as questionable as a Senate investigation.

Steelgrave

I think if it happens it will be due to public pressure on other members of the Senate and House who in turn pressure McConnell. McConnell plays the long game and always has. Others may not prove as stout. And keep in mind that most members of both the House and Senate do not owe their seat to Trump. They will be Trump supporters so long as that formula works for them.

ghostryder