FREE --> The Witcher: Enhanced Ed Director's Cut (requires Ars Technica account)

Started by steve58, April 25, 2017, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Please note that this giveaway is only running for the next 48 hours as of the publication of this post. We can't just give away codes forever, but for the next two days we've got as many codes as there are people who want them. You can check the fancy timer in the sidebar for how much time is left. Note that in order to prevent bots from taking codes, you must first create an Ars account and be logged into it in order to claim a Witcher code.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/ars-and-gog-two-great-tastes-that-go-great-together/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

update:

Apologies, all—this is proving to be popular so far beyond what we'd projected that we need to take a bit and reassess how we're handling the codes. We'll resume the giveaway in the next hour or so once we've got a better method in place!

...not sure what they'll be doing now.  Just keep checking the link I guess.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

I couldn't create an account. Their servers must be getting crushed by new account creations.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Latest update:

QuoteAll righty, the code giveaway is back on. Right now we're having to limit it to existing Ars accounts only, since many thousands of bots trying to simultaneously register for Ars accounts was killing the site pretty hard. We've got registration temporarily disabled for now, but we'll re-enable it shortly once we have another workaround in place. Who knew that the word "free" could cause so much chaos?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

More info:

QuoteLee Hutchinson Senior Technology Editor

OKAY. Things should be a little more stable now and codes should once again be get-able.

Quick notes:

1) We're still limiting this to logged-in users

2) We've temporarily disabled new user registration in order to combat the multiple-thousands-per-second of registration attempts that was making the backend weep (massive simultaneous user registration isn't typically something you design for, and it's a use case that we're not really set up to handle well due to all of the non-cacheable stuff that has to happen)

3) We're working on more ways to smooth this out

4) New user reg will be re-enabled shortly (i.e., at some point in the next few hours as of the timestamp on this message) once we implement some more workarounds

All in all it's been a fun morning.

Toonces

Are there really that many people that don't have this?  It's been on sale multiple times for practically pennies hasn't it?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

I have the disk version. Be nice to add it to my GOG library.

Anyway, it sounds like the issue for Ars was the number of bots hitting the reg page.

Toonces

Yeah, I checked and it's $10 normal price on Steam, so I'm sure it's been discounted down to $5 or less.  I guess free is free, but still.  Not worth having thousands of bots doing whatever they do for whatever reason they'd do it.

I've never even heard of that site that's advertising the game.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I have an ancient disk copy so I grabbed a code earlier this morning. My copy of Witcher 3 is on GOG so I am hoping I don't have any issues.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2017, 01:21:02 PM
Yeah, I checked and it's $10 normal price on Steam, so I'm sure it's been discounted down to $5 or less.  I guess free is free, but still.  Not worth having thousands of bots doing whatever they do for whatever reason they'd do it.

I've never even heard of that site that's advertising the game.

You've never heard of Ars Technica? Nerd card revoked!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Toonces

I was buying games on GoG before you guys were born.  But that Ars site is a new one for me. 

Turns out my Witcher 1 copy is on disk, too, so heck I might just pick up a copy too.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth