Decades Feeder Bracket - 1980 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, April 23, 2017, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 24, 2017, 07:50:01 PM
Great songs all, but it's difficult to trump Cars in this decade. I mean, from a pure 80s electro-synth standpoint.

The Cars will make an appearance in their proper place.  There just wasn't anything worthy to put in 1980.  '79, yeah.  '81, absolutely.  '84, you betcha.  Nothing in 1980 though.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

Then I'll let the unauthorized video stand.  And don't forget, the 1980 Final 8 starts tomorrow night.

-budd-

Must of been tough narrowing that down. Notable absences, Clash, Joel, Petty, All i really remember was playing Back in Black over and over and hating the Benatar crap coming from my sister's room.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2017, 09:09:52 PM
Great songs all, but it's difficult to trump Cars in this decade. I mean, from a pure 80s electro-synth standpoint.

The Cars will make an appearance in their proper place.  There just wasn't anything worthy to put in 1980.  '79, yeah.  '81, absolutely.  '84, you betcha.  Nothing in 1980 though.

I think he meant the song "Cars" not the band The Cars.  I'm basing that on the qualifier "pure 80s electro-synth" which doesn't really describe The Cars but perfectly encapsulates the song
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Totally right.  I read that wrong.    :-[

Quote from: -budd- on April 24, 2017, 10:37:34 PM
Must of been tough narrowing that down. Notable absences, Clash, Joel, Petty, All i really remember was playing Back in Black over and over and hating the Benatar crap coming from my sister's room.

I also left out .38 Special, The Police, some 1 hit wonders that were huge.  It's an exercise in what I think will make the bracket better and what I think you folks will like.  No matter the outcome, it pains me when I know there are more songs that should be in there.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on April 24, 2017, 09:09:52 PM

I was referring to your choice of the song 'Cars,' not THE Cars (group), but your points are nonetheless valid.

It would be an interesting argument to validate which is more important - the cultural impact of a song, even if by a one-hit wonder band, or the impact of a band with more staying power. I think the latter is more important, obviously, because bands with staying power arguably influence other up-and-comers, or at least have a larger chance of doing so, but you can't easily dismiss one-hitters. Though I get you gotta draw the line somewhere.

MetalDog

I see where you're coming from, B_C.  I value a band with a proven catalog over one hit wonders for continual impact on music/culture/style/ whatever they end up influencing.  But the equalizing factor for one hits is that you almost invariably remember something associated with that song.  Where you were when you first heard it.  What you were doing when the song played all summer long.  That special girl you gave the ballad to.  Can you tell me the last time you listened to Tea For One by Zeppelin?  Or anything else about it as to how it influenced your life?  No, except for its inclusion in the body of work of the artists who made it.

BanzaiCat

I totally agree about memories linked to one-hits.

Since I'm a child of the 80s, most of my memories of 'new' music at the time came from MTV. Video Killed The Radio Star comes immediately to mind - that was some trippy shit back in 1984 or whenever I saw it on TV.

As for Tea For One...I'll be honest, I've not been a big Zeppelin fan. I've never owned any of their albums but I've heard all the mainstream tunes, and nowadays if I hear a song by them it's on Ozzy's Boneyard or Classic Vinyl or some such station on SiriusXM. I'd not heard of Tea For One before. I just looked up this song and am playing it now...very bluesy and emotional, like nothing I've heard by them before. Quite awesome, thanks. I'm going to have to buy Presence, if the rest of the album is this good.

I'll have to rethink my music library. My most recent purchases are probably pretty lame - I bought three CDs through Amazon, all 'Best Ofs.' Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Kansas, and Supertramp. I still like hard metal, and while I'll still listen to that, I'm finding more mellow stuff is more complimentary to a work day for me.

MetalDog

If you haven't already, sign up for Spotify.  I have heard more new music in the last year than I have in the last 20.  And it's because it's super easy to explore.  And glad you like Tea For One.  Presence has 'Hots On For Nowhere,' and 'Nobody's Fault But Mine,' as the songs you will know.  And the album is on Spotify ;)

bayonetbrant

Steppenwolf got a shot at the R&R HoF based on their one song...  yeah, yeah, Magic Carpet Ride was a minor hit, but they're famous for Born to be Wild, and that's it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Lots of free music available for Amazon Prime members as well. Recently read where an astounding number of households are now AzPrime. It's how they landed Thursday Night NFL.

Not a Zeppelin fan myself, BC, never have been. Disturbed is more my speed   8)

mirth

Prime Music is pretty good. Nice added bennie on top of the video streaming and free two-day shipping.