Decades Feeder Bracket - 1980 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, April 23, 2017, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

********Please Read Before Voting**********

Each of the songs is paired up in order to determine who moves on to the next round.  I am unable to make an actual bracket, but, the pairings are set up in bracket style like the ones you fill out for the NCAA Basketball tournament.  So if you would kindly vote for one song of each pair, that would be greatly appreciated.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I can present this weeks bracket, 1980.  This is my third attempt, and it has gotten more difficult, not less.  Each song that I think is essential is quickly followed by another and another until I have waaaay too many.  The culling process, while arbitrary, is an exercise in, "How do I NOT include that?!?!?!?!??!!!"  Maybe I'll use them in a future bracket to determine wild cards.  Hmmmmm....

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

You put Talking Heads against Dire Straits? That's cold, man.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

GAH! Those are all tough matches.... must think harder... or more beer would also help.....  :pullhair:

MetalDog

Trying purposely to make them tougher.  Why should I be the only one to suffer? ;)

bayonetbrant

Seems like Breaking The Law and Crazy Train should have their seeds flipped...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

No Joan Jett (Bad Reputation)?
No X (Soul Kitchen)?
Nothing from Loverboy?  (or are you waiting for '82 for that one?)

and seriously - no "Rappers Delight" from Sugarhill Gang?  Talk about cultural influence / pop music importance!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

If I had the time to do it, I'd post all the ones I didn't include.  And no, none of them would be what you posted above.  In my defense, the references I am using are a bit more mainstream, the Billboard Hot 100 for that year as well as a list of albums released in that year courtesy of Wikipedia.  But I gotta tell ya', each year could be its own 64 song bracket and I am sure there would STILL be songs I left out that I thought needed to be in there.

And yeah, I thought about flipping the Ozzy/Priest seeds.  Figured I'd let you guys sort that out for me.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

OJsDad

Crap, I must have hit the submit button by mistake, as it says I've voted.  I only had 2 selected.  If no one can clear my vote for me, then that's where the screw up is on the vote count MD. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Sorry, Daddy-o.  It's either wipe the poll clean and start over, or take the two and go with it.  Going with the latter methinks.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

BanzaiCat

Great songs all, but it's difficult to trump Cars in this decade. I mean, from a pure 80s electro-synth standpoint.

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on April 23, 2017, 10:22:07 PM
Sorry, Daddy-o.  It's either wipe the poll clean and start over, or take the two and go with it.  Going with the latter methinks.

I agree.  Just wanted you to know why the count is goofy. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.