Windows 10 Creator Update game mode

Started by Yskonyn, April 18, 2017, 03:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 22, 2017, 03:02:45 PM
Does this Process Lasso app actually improve performance?
I mean with modern processors, plenty of RAM and SSDs I just can't shrug off the feeling these applications are a relic?
Win10's Game mode hasn't made a shred of difference on my system either ever since I have activated it.

According to their website it improves responsiveness (with limited performance gain).

Gaming Mode is really a 'High Performance Mode' in that it will induce this new highest performance power plan, and also make a few tweaks to the behavior of ProBalance – which will keep background processes from interfering with your game play.
Save you from micro-lags or freezes that can occur with high CPU use.
Save you from hard resets caused by a monopolistic process.
Do wonders at keeping your PC responsive during high CPU use activities like re-encoding (transcoding) multi-media.

RyanE

As I already said above, it gave me 2-5 FPS on IL-2.  I don't use the bitsum power plan.  It can actually hurt performance on laptops.  I use PL to set I/O. CPU, memory, etc. priorities.  If you know what you are doing with it, it can help.  Its main help is in allowing me to define what happens in the background as much as anything.

One good way to judge if you know how to use it is if you know what head parking is on a hard drive.  That was the ancestry of PL and if don't know what that is, you might not have the PC knowledge to get enough out of PL to make mush of a difference.

ghostryder

I generally think the thing is too tied to XBOX -- and is more scheme than useful. Sort of like registry cleaners. They been around decades yet no legitimate benchmarks showing a performance increase as a result of a registry cleaner have ever been released. And that's because all those registry entries have absolutely no effect on performance...even boot performance. It's only success is to empty your wallet. Yet the placebo effect convinces users there money is well spent.