Decades Feeder Bracket - 1970 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, April 16, 2017, 08:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

1960 was rough on everyone.  Maybe you weren't familiar with the songs.  Or maybe that style of music just doesn't appeal to you.  Or maybe, you're old enough to have heard those songs a millions times and can't bear to listen to them ONE...MORE...TIME!!!  But I have a suspicion that all the polls past say...1964 or so, will interest you a great deal more.  Starting with 1970. 

I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to do a proper 64 song bracket for each year.  I had to cull the list from 47 to 16 and I thought THAT was being stingy.  The getting to 47 that is.  There are some great, great songs that won't be included in this poll, but, I hope you like the ones I did choose. 

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

bbmike

Ah, the 70s. Now I can start voting.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

bayonetbrant

War Pigs a 15 seed?!?!

And if War Pigs is on the list, why wouldn't Paranoid be instead!?!?

(War Pigs is a better song, but Paranoid actually charted and would be considered the 'bigger hit')
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Good stuff, Dawg. Some of those really bring back memories. Oh Gawd....the James Gang!!!! This was, for me, the best sweet 16 bracket so far, which is cool   8)

And did you piss in Brant's Cheerios....again?

MetalDog

I figured if I was going to catch consistent shit from anyone, it would be Brant.  It's all good though.  Love to see the passion behind people's musical tastes.

And in answer to your War Pigs question, I'll answer your with another question, why Into the Mystic instead of Moondance?  Honestly, I am bored to tears of Paranoid.  But, there will be other songs I could never hear again and it would be too soon.  And some of those will appear in future brackets.  Besides, I had four Sabbath songs to choose from, the two previously mentioned, Iron Man and The Wizard.  I wanted to take the Wizard, but, I'm still not sure what audience I am playing to, so, I am trying to err on the side of what most people will know.  As I mentioned in the OP, I cut 31 songs from 1970 to get to 16 and there were probably half again as many that could have easily made this a 64 song bracket.  I just don't have the fortitude to do 64 songs for 40 years.  It's already going to be 640 as it is.

trailrunner

Good selection, and tough choices!  One or two of my top-ten-all-time-best songs are on this list (although to be honest I probably have 200 top-ten-all-time-best songs).

I also looked up the songs that came out in 1970 and the ones that charted that year.  You had a lot to choose from, which must've made your job tough.

trailrunner

Quote from: MetalDog on April 16, 2017, 09:35:03 PM
But, there will be other songs I could never hear again and it would be too soon.

As we get in to the 1970s, there are going to be a few songs that fall into this category for me.  They may be great songs, but back in the days of radio and LPs, I just heard them way too many times.

MetalDog

Quote from: trailrunner on April 16, 2017, 09:53:27 PM
Good selection, and tough choices!  One or two of my top-ten-all-time-best songs are on this list (although to be honest I probably have 200 top-ten-all-time-best songs).

I also looked up the songs that came out in 1970 and the ones that charted that year.  You had a lot to choose from, which must've made your job tough.

I am keeping a list of all the ones I didn't use.  I may or may not do something with them at a different time.  But there's a LOT of them ;)

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on April 16, 2017, 09:35:03 PM
I figured if I was going to catch consistent shit from anyone, it would be Brant.  It's all good though.  Love to see the passion behind people's musical tastes.

It's a given, Brant's going to have something to bRANT about in these playoffs.  \m/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Guys - seriously...  you're talking about a dude that's been a giant music fan going back to the early 80s, has a CD/cassette/LP collection in the low thousands, and a few years working on the fringes of the music business as a radio DJ, musician, producer, and promoter :)

You're darn right I'm going to have some comment on darn near every one of these! :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bubblehead1971

Excellent choices brother man! Into the Mystic to the Final Four at least! War Pigs over Paranoid every time.  O0

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bubblehead1971 on April 17, 2017, 11:46:07 AMWar Pigs over Paranoid every time.

note what I said above O:-)

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 16, 2017, 08:56:34 PM(War Pigs is a better song, but Paranoid actually charted and would be considered the 'bigger hit')

MetalDog

Quote from: bubblehead1971 on April 17, 2017, 11:46:07 AM
Excellent choices brother man! Into the Mystic to the Final Four at least! War Pigs over Paranoid every time.  O0

Glad you like the choices, bub.  And don't mind Brant.  He loves music like we do.  Just some really...off the beaten path stuff sometimes.  He turned me on to The Revivalists, among others, so I will always be grateful :)