Decades Feeder Bracket - 1960 Final Four

Started by MetalDog, April 13, 2017, 09:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I get it.  Old timey music + busy lives + there were only about ten of you that voted in the other polls at most = 3 people voted in this round.  Totally cool with that.  Just want to point something out in case it's being missed, you can vote for a song in each matchup.  In fact, I encourage it.  'Shop Around,' won with one vote and yet, three people cast votes.  So please, if you drop by, even if it's out of pity for me, take a minute and vote on all the matchups.  (And yes, I posted this before the poll officially closed.  But it has been up for two days and this all the response we got, so I feel pretty confident one less hour is going to make much difference.)

Now that I've gotten that whine off my chest, there is a really solid matchup in the 5/9 and what I think will be a runaway in the 2/3.  Let's see what we get.  Besides. it's only three days before I put up the 1970 poll.  I think you may like that one a little better ;)

The 5/9

The 2/3

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I still think of "Shop Around" as a Captain & Tennille song.  I know Smokey Robinson recorded it first.  I also know that my parents played the C&T version more when I was growing up.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Wow.  I don't think I know that version.  I have to imagine it's a bit different.  The Miracles version is the one I know best.  And it's a great song.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

It's actually pretty close. A little more piano.

If you want a great Smokey Robinson cover tune, check Tears of a Clown from The English Beat
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

^The English Beat eventually morphed into The Fine Young Cannibals who did a pretty good cover of Elvis' Suspicious Minds. Their singer, Roland Gift, has a voice suited to evoking the time period in question.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 14, 2017, 06:30:59 AM^The English Beat eventually morphed into The Fine Young Cannibals

{pedantic mode}
The English Beat split into Fine Young Cannibals (w/ a new singer) and General Public (w/ a new bassist) :)
{/pedantic mode}

Staggerwing

Well, they say that the bass player is the backbone of the band so...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing