Lots of buzz on Trump preparing a strike on Norks with China support

Started by JasonPratt, April 12, 2017, 08:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I'm just starting the thread to call for more clear information on this. I'm only seeing a big uptick on Youtube today, from sources I'm not sure I trust.  :(

Note: the original thread title was "ordering a strike" not "preparing", but the buzz I've been seeing talked about preparing and seriously considering ordering a strike. Not having ordered a strike.

See downthread for mainstream articles that seem to be behind the concerns.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

OJsDad

The thing is, the NORKs have a huge ace up their sleevesa in preventing either the US or SK's from attacking them.  Seoul is within range of NORK artillery along the DMZ.  Any kind of attack on the NORKs would bring an attack on Seoul.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Dammit Carl!

Maybe, but all it takes is a few higher ups thinking, "nah, we can do this with minimal issues,"  and stuff might get serious. 

But, I'm a "glass half empty," sort, so I hope I'm wrong.

Steelgrave

I'm all over the news this morning, as usual, and I'm not seeing a thing to support this. Granted, YouTube is not one of my news sources but Batboy has issued a firm denial.

Steelgrave

I found this http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/after-trumps-syrian-attack-china-suddenly-gets-very-concerned-about-north-koreas-nukes/ and while it's really not as sensationalist as your headline suggests, China may be growing concerned after Trump's action against Syria

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Wow:

"China, too, can no longer stand the continuous escalation of the North Korean nuclear issue at its doorstep," the editorial said. "Instead of accepting a situation that continues to worsen, putting an end to this is more in line with the wish of the Chinese public."

Also, that article referred to 'the Japanese Navy.'

Times they are a-changin'.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

To be clear, the buzz was more along the lines of Trump preparing for a strike, not actually ordering one yet, but definitely considering it. I should edit the thread title accordingly.

Edit complete.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on April 12, 2017, 11:43:35 AM
Interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/world/asia/trump-china-north-korea-xi-jinping.html

Nice find. I suspect three things are happening. (1) The Chinese may see N. Korea as being more trouble on the world stage than it is currently worth, (2) Trump may be the first President since Ronald Reagan who our adversaries view as a "wild card" militarily, and (3) China is going to want something substantial in return for it's cooperation, such as some give on the South China Sea perhaps. One thing is for certain: if China suddenly turns on the Norks, it's not because they suddenly realized what bad guys they are.

Gusington

Is there any scenario where the Chinese would actually ally with the US against North Korea, or is the best the US can hope for, if it comes down to a strike, is for China to look the other way?

Doesn't sound like the Chinese military is in any mood to re-fight the original Korean War.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 12, 2017, 12:00:09 PM
One thing is for certain: if China suddenly turns on the Norks, it's not because they suddenly realized what bad guys they are.

Truth. They'll be looking for some quid pro quo.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2017, 12:00:45 PM
Is there any scenario where the Chinese would actually ally with the US against North Korea, or is the best the US can hope for, if it comes down to a strike, is for China to look the other way?

Doesn't sound like the Chinese military is in any mood to re-fight the original Korean War.

Personally, I think China cutting off trade with the Norks is the best we could hope for, but then again, that's not insubstantial since China is their largest/only benefactor.

Steelgrave

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 12, 2017, 11:56:06 AM
To be clear, the buzz was more along the lines of Trump preparing for a strike, not actually ordering one yet, but definitely considering it. I should edit the thread title accordingly.

Edit complete.

Well, you did manage to get a good conversation going  :coolsmiley: