The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I loved TOAW. Best strategic games I had because things "seemed" to work. I'd drop paratroopers down behind enemy lines and whilst they weren't lasting long, they did divert enemy resources AND seemed to affect supply.

I'm seriously looking forward to this and it's day one purchase for me. It's been a while since I've had the desire to buy a Matrix game outside of a sale. Last game was the Barbarossa game...previous to that I think it was War in the West
Alba gu' brath

Tamas

Quote from: spelk on April 13, 2017, 04:45:15 AM
Do we know if this is a full rebuild ground up or just an evolution of the previous version (perhaps going a bit further than the last UI update on TOAW3)?

It is a major upgrade of the existing engine, so, for example, there is backwards compatibility with older TOAW scenarios , although they can be affected by the changes (particularly the ones that have naval units)

There's not only a new UI and improved graphics but also a lot of changes and enhancements. We have listed several of them on the product page and will try to offer a more detailed explanation of them in the coming weeks.

The different dialog boxes and reports have been made more useful, Editor options seriously extended etc. I think you will like it. :)

Bison

Quote from: jomni on April 12, 2017, 10:28:40 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

Yup my sentiments exactly.  Until we see some screenshots, gameplay, and reviews, I'll remain intrigued but not sold on a shiny new paint for an old engine. 

mirth

Quote from: Bison on April 13, 2017, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 12, 2017, 10:28:40 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

Yup my sentiments exactly.  Until we see some screenshots, gameplay, and reviews, I'll remain intrigued but not sold on a shiny new paint for an old engine. 

You're such a curmudgeon :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I am.

I really enjoy TOAW3, but the engine is now what 15+ years old.  I have same feelings about JTS games.  I love their games too, but there is only so much each upgrade can do.  I really hope that my reservation are proven wrong.

mirth

It's like you want a modern UI or something  :crazy2:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

It'd be nice for sure.  I really love the Tiller line of games for example, but I've stopped purchasing and playing on a regular basis because of the interface.  Well that and the ridiculously small font.  Aging eyes love larger fonts.  :)  I just hope that the old TOAW3 code can be "modernized," but I wonder how much can really be done on this account. That is where my reservations come from about a "new" and "improved" game.

spelk

Quote from: Bison on April 13, 2017, 09:26:41 AM
I am.

I really enjoy TOAW3, but the engine is now what 15+ years old.  I have same feelings about JTS games.  I love their games too, but there is only so much each upgrade can do.  I really hope that my reservation are proven wrong.

I'm excited about the title, but I'm in agreement with Bison, I'd like it to bring the game into the modern arena, rather than just be a scrub up and a lick of paint.

The name already has a lot of reputation with wargamers, I'd just like to see it exceed expectations and take us into the future with an operational wargame engine that can do what it did before, but feel like it truly has been modernised and brought up to date.

MetalDog

TOAW3 was always intriguing to me.  I don't know much about it except it's NATO counters and has boatloads of scenarios.  Those both appeal to me.  Tell me why else I should love this game and hope that 4 is even better?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jomni

Quote from: MetalDog on April 14, 2017, 08:39:51 PM
TOAW3 was always intriguing to me.  I don't know much about it except it's NATO counters and has boatloads of scenarios.  Those both appeal to me.  Tell me why else I should love this game and hope that 4 is even better?

1. It covers a lot of conflicts.
2. Unique turn structure (actually it's very fluid and hard to explain).
3. Some don't know this but you can give high level move commands and the sub units will just follow.  No pushing of 1000s of counters.

I expect TOAW4 to be more of the same actually.  Just more bells and whistles.

LrdToraNaga

Can't wait, I've been a TOAW addict from the beginning!

Zulu1966

Still no hex side rivers? Find that sooooooooo annoying that it's a deal breaker for me.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Crossroads

Oh wow, what a neat surprise, I had almost given up on hope ever seeing TOAW IV  :smitten:

According to posts at their Matrix forum, there should be screenshots in next few days.

Day one purchase for sure  :bd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: jomni on April 14, 2017, 08:51:18 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 14, 2017, 08:39:51 PM

1. It covers a lot of conflicts.
2. Unique turn structure (actually it's very fluid and hard to explain).
3. Some don't know this but you can give high level move commands and the sub units will just follow.  No pushing of 1000s of counters.

I expect TOAW4 to be more of the same actually.  Just more bells and whistles.

Adaptive scale and support for various historic eras,  the unique turn structure, ... TOAW III scenarios covered WW I, WW II, KR, VN, Modern Era, and one of the guys even did the S&T magazines Breitenfeld and Lutzen battles of the Thirty Years war, how's that for adaptability!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY