Decades Feeder Bracket - 1960

Started by MetalDog, April 09, 2017, 10:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Brought back by the popular demand of exactly no one, I give you a new bracket challenge.  I liked the idea of decades and was trying to figure out how I was going to pick the 16 best songs from each decade.  Then I was given the idea to do it by year.  One bracket for each of the years between 1960 and 1999.  As I'm a glutton for punishment (and more than a little proud of all the good music I've heard in my life), I am going to endeavor to bring you a new bracket every Sunday night.  The new bracket will go up at 11 p.m. EST.  Each round will last two days.  So the champion for that year will be determined by the Monday following its initial posting.  One bracket for each year, with the sixteen best songs (as determined by yours truly) going head to head until we crown a champ for that year.  At the end of the 40 brackets, I will take the top 6 vote getters from each decade and add them to the 10 yearly winners.  Then we can play them off in a final bracket of 64.

Now, inevitably, there will be a hue and a cry that your favorite song didn't make it.  Or, more likely with this bunch, "How could you include THAT trash when you didn't include_______ (<---insert your favorite song here)?!?!?!!!!??!?!"  What I'd like to do is make a separate thread for that, but, let's see how much participation we get first.  If there's enough, instead of taking the top 6 vote getters in each decade, I will have a bracket for the best ones that didn't make it.

I think that takes care of it.  If not, I'm sure you folks will point it out.  I truly hope you enjoy this as much as I am going to enjoy doing this.

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Sorry everyone.  I screwed up.  Had it set to only one vote per person.  You'd think I'd figured all that shit out last time.  Fixed it.  Please come back and vote again.

bayonetbrant

there's only one song on there I even kinda like.  In the entire 1960s, that was the best you could find? :-\
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

No.  In 1960 those were the best I could find. we still have 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 to go.  I'm sure you'll find something in one of those years not to grump about. 

bayonetbrant

Ah, gotcha...  I read it as that was the entire 1960s.  Fair 'nuff - let's see what's coming up :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2017, 05:55:00 AM
No.  In 1960 those were the best I could find. we still have 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 to go.  I'm sure you'll find something in one of those years not to grump about.

I wonder if these are known in the US.

They were on top of the charts in the UK and Belgium in 1960.

Steelgrave

Good stuff, Dawg. Is it bad that I knew every single song without having to look at the videos?  :timeout:

MetalDog

Nope.  You are EXACTLY the person I was hoping to get with these :)

Steelgrave

Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2017, 09:57:13 AM
Nope.  You are EXACTLY the person I was hoping to get with these :)

In that case, I should be good up until about 1985   O0

Barthheart

These are just a little before my time but I grew up listening to them cause that's what my parents listened to.

Have to go back and listen to the one Pete put up... don't know the name off hand...

Steelgrave

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 11, 2017, 06:38:35 AM

No, I don't believe any British bands ever caught on in the US   :coolsmiley:

Staggerwing

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 11, 2017, 12:15:18 PM

Well, there was Flock of Seagulls.... after that I'm drawing a blank.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Quote from: Barthheart on April 11, 2017, 10:40:23 AM
These are just a little before my time but I grew up listening to them cause that's what my parents listened to.

Have to go back and listen to the one Pete put up... don't know the name off hand...

Same here.  Whenever we were in the car with dad, he would play 50's and 60's tunes.  Unless the ball game was on.  Then it was quiet time for us kids.  I did know all the songs I picked except for the Dinah Washington/Brook Benton number.  But when I heard it, I knew I had to include it.
It's really good.

I listened to Apache.  It sounds very familiar in a, 'That sounds like I should know it," kind of way, but, I don't think I do.

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 11, 2017, 06:03:10 PM

Katrina and the Waves is the only other one that I can think of.   :peace:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Pete Dero

Quote from: OJsDad on April 11, 2017, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 11, 2017, 06:03:10 PM

Katrina and the Waves is the only other one that I can think of.   :peace:

And two small indie bands : The Beatles & The Rolling Stones