Author Topic: So this is BS  (Read 987 times)

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
Re: So this is BS
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
And I'm fine with regulating it, but I don't see it as completely dominant. I can open my browser search settings right now and choose from 9 different search engines. And I'm not using Google currently for search.

As far as search goes, a goodly amount of Google's market share comes from people being too lazy to choose another search engine.

Normally any business who has over 75% market share is considered a monopoly, regardless of how good their product is or how lazy people are.

The bigger issue is that they can deny advertising access to online entities.  No advertising access, no revenues, no means to operate.

Offline mirth

• Admiral of the Douche-Canoe Navy
  • Musketeer
  • What did you do, Ray?
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »
And I'm fine with regulating it, but I don't see it as completely dominant. I can open my browser search settings right now and choose from 9 different search engines. And I'm not using Google currently for search.

As far as search goes, a goodly amount of Google's market share comes from people being too lazy to choose another search engine.

Normally any business who has over 75% market share is considered a monopoly, regardless of how good their product is or how lazy people are.

Normally being the keyword. Internet companies have been perceived/treated differently by anti-trust regulators than have 'traditional' businesses, rightly or wrongly.

For a third time, I'll state that I am not opposed to regulation of the online search and advertising markets. There are simply bigger concerns in my opinion.
"Everything's better with apple cider vinegar and a squeaky clean urethra." - Gus

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »

For a third time, I'll state that I am not opposed to regulation of the online search and advertising markets. There are simply bigger concerns in my opinion.

It's like you don't hang out here.  We are an old and crotchety bunch.  We like repeating ourselves and for you to do the same!

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »
Yeah, we like repeating ourselves!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:24 AM »

What's that?  I didn't understand.

Offline mirth

• Musketeer
  • What did you do, Ray?
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
Please repeat for clarification.
"Everything's better with apple cider vinegar and a squeaky clean urethra." - Gus

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 09:33:40 AM »
The weathers changing here today.  It was a nice sunny morning and now it looks like rain. 

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »
Please repeat for clarification.

for clarification.

Offline mirth

• Musketeer
  • What did you do, Ray?
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
I lobbed that up for you.

Offline Uberhaus

• Equites
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
REPEAT, OUT