Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 19, 2017, 07:54:56 PM
....did that Jeep have Flintstone power driving??  :o I swear, when it turned left onto the field row, it looked like there was some kind of irregular pillar underneath. At first I thought the rider or driver model was clipping down through it (like their feet were pushing the Jeep along), but then I thought it was between them so couldn't be them...

LOL! I had the exact same thoughts as I watched my recorded replay. I have no idea what that thing was but it did look like they were using foot power.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I made the switch and finally started to play as the bad guys.  Is it just me, or do the Germans seem to suck?  I had no problem beating the game as the Brits or the Yanks on all three maps at medium difficulty while playing conquest but I'm getting my ass handed to me handily as the Germans.  Maybe I just used the wrong division (I'm using the guys who just have a bunch of Stugs) but they seem really weak.

JasonPratt

I'm playing the Luftlanders, too. I don't know that they're weak, but what they're strong in (aircraft and elite infantry / scouts, with some decent arty) doesn't seem to be good for winning conquest. But I've opined above (at some length) that this might be due to me trying to play an escalation game with only 250 to buy units to start. If I started with a lot of budget, I could flood the map with elite paras and some support crews (and stiffen them with a bunch of penal infs). That would have to make some difference in power projection, even though the opponent would get to flood with things, too. I haven't experimented with this yet, since I'm working on getting my multiplayer AAR produced and played.

My most recent theory was that if I'm going to play the Luftlanders on a minimum-surge match (250 points), I should just cede the map at first, building up a killing reinforced defense around one of the entry points, and then expand with task forces as I build them up. This could only possibly work with a 5000 point win-goal however. I don't think it's possible (against a medium AI or equivalent human) for the Luftlanders to win a minimum surge conquest map with a low victory goal.

Which is fine. The divisions should be distinct and not even necessarily balanced. On a team game, the Luftlanders should function like, well, the Luftlanders: air superiority, air support, and various defense-support to hold ground taken by your fellow Huns, plus building up some decent arty firebases.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

I picked this up last week. I have to say, for someone who isn't a pure war gamer and struggles with overly complex games, this game (because of bullet speed) hits a sweet spot for me. I have lots to learn, but it's at a nice pace for me.

Love this game.

Toonces

Wait, this game has the acctingman seal of approval?

I might need to pick this up, now!   :P
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

acctingman

glen55

Sorry, I suspect this has been addressed already, but I just made kind of a 1/4-to-1/2-assed effort to thumb through the 19 pages and missed it, so please be merciful:  :hide:

How is singleplayer? Is that what you guys are playing? Is the campaign any good? Are there random skirmishes? Skirmishes with definable parameters?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: glen55 on April 26, 2017, 04:55:18 PM
Sorry, I suspect this has been addressed already, but I just made kind of a 1/4-to-1/2-assed effort to thumb through the 19 pages and missed it, so please be merciful:  :hide:

How is singleplayer? Is that what you guys are playing? Is the campaign any good? Are there random skirmishes? Skirmishes with definable parameters?

Campaign is not in the beta. It will be in the final release. AI skirmishes are in the beta and they are very enjoyable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Agreed, single-player skirms are very enjoyable. Even with only 2 maps and 4 divisions (now slowly being extended as the beta continues).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Enjoyable until a god damned Rangers lob a satchel charge into the building you just moved into and wipes out your entire squad of pioneers.   :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

That just happened to me a few skirmishes ago.  I targeted the Rangers with a gun of some sort (can't remember if it was a tank or cannon or something else).  I zoomed in on them just as the first explosion hit and saw what looked like a crate go flying out of view towards my units at a very high speed.  I wasn't sure if that was just some slightly wonky physics from the explosion or a satchel.  Then the building my fresh squad was in blew up and killed all 10 of them and I got my answer.

acctingman

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 26, 2017, 06:07:33 PM
Enjoyable until a god damned Rangers lob a satchel charge into the building you just moved into and wipes out your entire squad of pioneers.   :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

That just happened to me a few skirmishes ago.  I targeted the Rangers with a gun of some sort (can't remember if it was a tank or cannon or something else).  I zoomed in on them just as the first explosion hit and saw what looked like a crate go flying out of view towards my units at a very high speed.  I wasn't sure if that was just some slightly wonky physics from the explosion or a satchel.  Then the building my fresh squad was in blew up and killed all 10 of them and I got my answer.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that will leave a mark!  #:-)

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2017, 04:56:44 PM

Campaign is not in the beta. It will be in the final release. AI skirmishes are in the beta and they are very enjoyable.

Can you set parameters for the skirmishes? Terrain/unit type/battle type? Purchase units? 

Sorry again for jumping into this 20 pages in but I never really played Wargame so the thread didn't grab me right off. But suddenly it is dawning on me that this game at least LOOKS pretty righteous.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: glen55 on April 26, 2017, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2017, 04:56:44 PM

Can you set parameters for the skirmishes? Terrain/unit type/battle type? Purchase units? 

Sorry again for jumping into this 20 pages in but I never really played Wargame so the thread didn't grab me right off. But suddenly it is dawning on me that this game at least LOOKS pretty righteous.

You really need to read the thread. There is a lot of information that you'll find useful. Or, just check out the steam page. All the info. is there.

Basically, there are a series of maps with varied terrain. You can pick which maps you want to fight on and they vary in size based upon whether you want 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc.  There are presently only two types of battles. One where you earn points by destroying the enemy and one where you win by taking territory. 

There are pre-set armies based loosely on real historic divisions. However, half of the fun is building armies from the very robust OOB and list of units. You basically build battle "decks" and you make them balanced, or you can build specialized decks that focus on infantry, tank, support, air, etc.

One thing that makes SD44 unique from the wargame series is the phased approach to battle. Combat is fought in three phases...alpha, bravo and charlie. As the battle advances, reinforcements are unlocked. This is really important when building decks because only Alpha units will be available in the beginning. Bravo and Charlie units will not be employable until those phases are advanced.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"