Getting The First Pic Of An Event Horizon?

Started by Nefaro, March 28, 2017, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I can only imagine the pure insanity that would ensue if I tried to watch it with my daughters or even The Wife now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 29, 2017, 09:02:57 AM
Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2017, 09:43:27 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 28, 2017, 09:40:35 PM
Or that damned creepy red robot?  :hide:

HK-47?

No. Maximillian from The Black Hole.

Does anyone else think that old B.O.B. from The Black Hole looks a lot like Cartmann from South Park?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 29, 2017, 11:18:03 AM
Space Hulk in 1993 talked about the chaos problems of warp travel; I'm pretty sure the rulebook mentioned demons along the way although the game naturally didn't focus on that topic.

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 29, 2017, 12:56:57 PM
As for the Chaos Marines, the Vengeance of the Blood Angels in 1995 definitely featured them (I double-checked the date to be sure of the time, and also if my memories of Chaos Marines was correct), so they must have been around for at least some time before that. The Gothic-horror architecture had certainly been around earlier, so far as the boardgame of Space Hulk is concerned.

Considering that Paul Anderson was an avid game player, any influence would have run that way at first. But of course the GW crew could also have borrowed themes when expanding later.

That narrows it down a bit.

Perhaps some inspiration for it was gleaned from WH40k at the time.  Still not sure if the actual warp travel = demon infestation thing was all that fleshed out at the time, in 40k, so I guess it's still possible they both expanded that idea at the same time.

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 29, 2017, 07:33:10 AM
sorry, but I found the EH movie to be kind of "ugh"- I just didn't enjoy it at all

The Black Hole, on the other hand, had promise, but crammed 45-minute TV show into a 2-hour movie

I enjoyed both, in their time.  Although I could still get some enjoyment out of watching EH today, whereas I attempted The Black Hole a number of years ago and it definitely hadn't aged well.  Of course, I was fairly young when I first saw that one.

There was another '90s movie I really enjoyed, featuring Sam Neill oddly enough, that is pretty polarizing in reviews - In The Mouth Of Madness.  Came out almost the same time EH did.  One of the few campy Lovecraft inspired movies that actually worked IMO, but also not for everyone.

Gusington

^Never seen that, I've heard good things.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

It's about on par with Event Horizon. If you liked EH, you'll like In the Mouth of Madness.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Could they possibly use the Black Hole to go back in time and make Pamela Anderson HOT again?  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 29, 2017, 07:58:49 PM
^Never seen that, I've heard good things.

Very Lovecraftian, without being directly so. 

One of the more enjoyable John Carpenter flicks, for me.  Loved the ending too; quite appropriate for the source themes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113409/

Quote from: mirth on March 29, 2017, 08:03:30 PM
It's about on par with Event Horizon. If you liked EH, you'll like In the Mouth of Madness.

Ehh.. kinda similar, yes.  More Old Ones, investigation, and insanity theme, less dismembering demon schlock.

OJsDad

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 30, 2017, 09:10:52 PM
Could they possibly use the Black Hole to go back in time and make Pamela Anderson HOT again?  :dreamer:

Are you off your meds or too much time in the sun.  She was never hot. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on March 31, 2017, 06:13:07 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 30, 2017, 09:10:52 PM

Are you off your meds or too much time in the sun.  She was never hot.

Beg to differ sir! Before all the plastic was added on she was quite hot.  :smitten:

OJsDad

Ok, BH, you win.  I honestly don't remember her before Baywatch. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

She Canadian, from Vancouver BC.... it's my duty to know these things....  :)

OJsDad

I still question if Slash is off his meds though. 

JasonPratt

Our love for science never ceases to amaze me.  :nerd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!