Sorry - been a busy jock

Started by JudgeDredd, March 24, 2017, 05:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

We've been having a new kitchen fitted for the last month or so and there's been a shed load to get on with. Ripping out the old one, removing tiles, re-plastering, putting in the new one and oiling bloody worktops. It's been a nightmare. We've got the flooring to go too and some finishing touches.

Outside of the kitchen, real life has really pulled me back this year so far. Any time I have had I've used for gaming and so forums took a back seat.

So all is good and I will pop back soon. Promise  O0  :smitten:

Some pics

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Welcome back, JD! What's with those funny looking outlets?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

hey  O0

I think you're talking about the ones on the floor where the missus is painting? They're for the radiator.
Alba gu' brath

DoctorQuest

May God have mercy on you, my son.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Glad you're relatively OK, JD.  O0
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Bison

Nice work!  The wife wants the kitchen sink area tiled.  I just want to finish painting the upstairs.  The to-do list never empties just gets more added onto it.

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 24, 2017, 05:26:23 PM
hey  O0

I think you're talking about the ones on the floor where the missus is painting? They're for the radiator.

No, I meant these:

We yanks have never seen such a thing!  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Wait you did all that kitchen work or you had a contractor do it?

And welcome back!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Nice job JD. What did you use to cut the hole for the sink? We have to do the same thing at ours, so any tips are welcome. BTW, evre thought of a second career as a kitchen fitter? :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

^And to teach the rest of us  :notworthy:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: bbmike on March 24, 2017, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 24, 2017, 05:26:23 PM
hey  O0

No, I meant these:

We yanks have never seen such a thing!  :P
They are modern electric sockets. You still have the two pin things, but things have moved on in the world of domestic electrics since the 1930's...  :-"  ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

^In some alien universe, not 'Murica.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Glad to see you back JD!

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 24, 2017, 05:03:31 PM

No doubt there must have been times during this herculean endeavor when you'd feared you'd lost the plot.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Thanks guys - it's been a slog. LOTS of prep work, demolition, measuring and dust...lots and lots of dust.

I haven't done it all myself. I did all the stripping and prepping - I've been oiling those solid beach wood worktops for 3 weeks...all 9 meters!!

I got all the cupboards in place and we had a proper chippy come in  to do the cutting of the worktops - they cost £200 per 3 meters and I didn't want to screw up! Once he cut, I helped get everything in place and then he secured them. He used a router I think he called it - something that chips the wood away but doesn't cut it - more like sands it out I think. He used that for the underneath where he was going to fit clamps to clamp the wood together.

I also had an electrician come round and fit some extra points and the cooker/oven.

As for the sink hole, I believe he measured, drilled a hole and then used a jigsaw. He went through 2 blades though, the wood was so tough!

But it's almost done. It's been...disruptive. The most annoying thing for me was the mess. Being an ex-squaddie, I do not like having dust or mess around - and there was lots of dust and mess.

Just a few wee bits to do...the upstands, kick boards, a couple of blanking plates and ends, a couple of bits of filling round sockets (and a hole where I measured wrong for the cooker hood...hence why I didn't want to cut those worktops!) and touch up painting where the worktop (big section with the sink) scraped the wall. Then we'll get a company in to do the blinds (the missus wants the front of the house to look the same in the windows) and I might do the flooring...but I might just chuck money at a company so I can get some time back  :)

I've been in a tunnel for a while but now there's now light  :bd:
Alba gu' brath