War for the Planet of the Apes

Started by mirth, February 25, 2017, 07:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Now the monkeys have to hope the horses don't turn on them.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 16, 2017, 03:29:22 PM
We need to put that chimp in charge in Afghanistan.  :clap:

To fight a gorilla war?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Yes! That would make them go bananas.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

Moviebob says "near masterpiece", could be the best film of the summer -- an opinion somewhat marred for me by his wholesale adoption of the film's jingoesque demonization of conservative immigration politics. (Not his way of describing it, but that's what he's describing, and he couldn't be more tickled about it.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Matt Reeves, fresh off his hat trick of the solid, moneymaking, critical darling, heavy fx Apes trilogy (2 out of 3 of them anyway), has been signed to take over as director of Batfleck as The Batman -- and has declared there shall be a page 1 rewrite of Batfleck's script.

This is probably good news.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Sounds like good news

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/matt-reeves-ditches-ben-afflecks-the-batman-script/ar-BBEkuzI

QuoteHe said: "I think there's a chance to do an almost noir-drive, detective version of Batman that is point of view driven in a very, very powerful way that is hopefully going to connect you to what's going on inside of his head and inside of his heart."

So a live action version of Batman The Animated Series. I'm on board with that.

Staggerwing

I'd like to see Miller's Dark Knight Returns done faithfully.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

The animated adaptation was reasonably faithful. Bout as good as you could hope for, I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Dark_Knight_Returns_(film)#Reception

JasonPratt

^^ Agreed, nothing more is needed there. Not a big fan of them releasing it originally in two parts, but in the combined cut they come together as a 2-1/2 hour truly theatrical length film. Peter Weller isn't always impressive as Batman, but he has his moments.

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 08:30:07 AM
Peter Weller isn't always impressive as Batman, but he has his moments.

Weller was better than I expected. Not Kevin Conroy good by any means, but he did a serviceable Bat voice.

JasonPratt

If he hadn't often sounded like he was phoning in his lines, he would have done better -- a problem with more than one celebrity guest Bat.  :buck2:

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2017, 07:18:33 PM
The animated adaptation was reasonably faithful. Bout as good as you could hope for, I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Dark_Knight_Returns_(film)#Reception

Damn. I did not know of this. I hope it's on Netflix or Prime. If not, where do you guys place it on the physical-media-buy-o-meter?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Pretty sure it's on Netflix or Prime. (Or that it was...)

Physical buy? Solid B. Maybe B+.