AGEOD English Civil War

Started by jomni, February 15, 2017, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: dinsdale on February 15, 2017, 08:43:11 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 15, 2017, 04:38:52 PM
Another renaissance title.  Was Thirty Year War any good?   Does it suit the engine?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/683/details/EnglishCivilWar

I don't know if any engine can deal with the english civil war! I played a board game; Unhappy King Charles which did a really good job of the strategic feel, albeit without capturing The Rupertine twattery on the battlefield.

Wars In America was really good at tying units to areas and evaporating them at the end of every year, having leaders who are unable to move, hopefully they will put the same effort into this title.

I'm a bit disappointed it ends in '46, most of my favourite bits happen during the second phase of the war.
I hadn't realised they were doing only the first part of the war. The war in Scotland and Ireland is really interesting. Why did they only do part of the war?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philippe

There were three wars.  Ageod's ECW game currently covers the first one.  I'm sure if the game's a commercial success there will be DLC covering the rest of them.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

Quote from: CJReich46 on May 15, 2017, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: Philippe on May 15, 2017, 02:53:06 PM
I remember a board game about the Peloponnesian war where you played solitaire against a system which dictated your general strategy and all of your opponent's actions. Whenever you would start beating your opponent badly, the game would make you switch sides.

That was Mark Herman's Peloponnesian War From Victory Games. *Sigh* I missed that one. However there is a remake of sorts called Pericles.

I've seen praise of the old Peloponnesian War game, as a solitaire experience.  Not familiar with it, myself.

Not sure how much Pericles shares with it.  Isn't Pericles directly based on the much more recent Churchill's system?

Boggit

Quote from: Philippe on May 22, 2017, 06:47:44 PM
There were three wars.  Ageod's ECW game currently covers the first one.  I'm sure if the game's a commercial success there will be DLC covering the rest of them.
That's what I was thinking.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on May 23, 2017, 08:23:23 PM
That's what I was thinking.

And this title has been priced quite low compared to TYW and the others.

Ian C

There were three wars.  Ageod's ECW game currently covers the first one. 

Well hell. They could have put a 'Part One' on the title...I wondered why it was relatively inexpensive compared to their typical releases. I thought they'd restructured their price strategy and I was impressed as it seemed a perfect quality-to-price ratio. I thought I'd bought the whole deal. Sneaky bastards.

rwenstrup

Fun game at a very reasonable price ...

smittyohio

Quote from: Nefaro on May 23, 2017, 01:27:10 AM
Quote from: CJReich46 on May 15, 2017, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: Philippe on May 15, 2017, 02:53:06 PM
I remember a board game about the Peloponnesian war where you played solitaire against a system which dictated your general strategy and all of your opponent's actions. Whenever you would start beating your opponent badly, the game would make you switch sides.

That was Mark Herman's Peloponnesian War From Victory Games. *Sigh* I missed that one. However there is a remake of sorts called Pericles.

I've seen praise of the old Peloponnesian War game, as a solitaire experience.  Not familiar with it, myself.

Not sure how much Pericles shares with it.  Isn't Pericles directly based on the much more recent Churchill's system?

Pericles is based on Churchill, for sure.  I've got both, but haven't played Pericles yet.   I started reading the rules a few weeks ago, and it seemed much more complicated than Churchill to me.  I'll get back to it before long, but I'm still working my way through Falling Sky at the moment.   Silly work keeps getting in the way.

besilarius

Work is the curse of the gaming class.  - George Bernard Shaw.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.