AGEOD English Civil War

Started by jomni, February 15, 2017, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Another renaissance title.  Was Thirty Year War any good?   Does it suit the engine?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/683/details/EnglishCivilWar

Philippe

Thirty Years War is my favorite Ageod game, so I have high hopes for the ECW.

Here is a link to a mod for it:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4103936&mpage=1&key=&#4233555
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on February 15, 2017, 04:38:52 PM
Another renaissance title.  Was Thirty Year War any good?   Does it suit the engine?

I'm always hopeful about AGEOD games.  So far Rise of Prussia and The Russian Civil war one were extremely good.  The rest -- not so much -- The English Civil War might work well, but as with 30 years war (very bad ) and Espana 1936 (also bad), the actual historical dynamics do matter in getting the game to function -- which is a good thing if the historical analysis is well done and a mess if not well done.

WallysWorld

I'm playing TYW right now as the Catholic faction and really enjoying it. That setting really fits the Ageod game engine.

This new game will be a must buy for me!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

dinsdale

I don't know if any engine can deal with the english civil war! I played a board game; Unhappy King Charles which did a really good job of the strategic feel, albeit without capturing The Rupertine twattery on the battlefield.

Wars In America was really good at tying units to areas and evaporating them at the end of every year, having leaders who are unable to move, hopefully they will put the same effort into this title.

I'm a bit disappointed it ends in '46, most of my favourite bits happen during the second phase of the war.

mikeck

This is really what the AGE engine was designed for. Wars with no true fronts where armies rely on forage or basic depots and no diplomacy.

Thirty years war is the most polished and well done AGEOD game to date. It's not my favorite but the time period and nature of warfare in the early-mid 17th century suits it.

Edit: Mengjao, why do you think the Thirty Years War game is "very bad"? I find the AI to be as good as any other AGEOD games, it's very stable and the AI usually doesn't go stupi lad like in ACW2 when it sends Stonewall Jackson and 2 divisions to take Pittsburg
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

I really wish they would work on a new game engine.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: bbmike on February 15, 2017, 09:29:41 PM

Agreed. I havent even heard the Devi mention it.

Having played the crap out of Thirty Years War and beta testing the next offering (out soon), I can promise you that the engine performs exceptionally well in the right wars. Rome or warfare from 1500-1792, where fortresses and sieges were paramount and armies were used to take locations and cities or controlling specific territory. Also, limited diplomacy and a more streamlined supply consisting of scavaging and wagons carrying supplies obtained at depots built along the way (instead of the push/pull system in ACW2) make the AI far superior in its ability to wage war.

AGEODs decision to return to BOAII simplicity as opposed to the absurdly complex Wats of Napleon or End all wars will show that the engine is still very good at simulating operational and strategic warfare
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Yes BOA type warfare is best. Not sure about Napoloenic to Industrial era.

WallysWorld

Quote from: bbmike on February 15, 2017, 09:29:41 PM
They supposedly are.

James: Rumor has it that you plan to replace the AGE engine. Is this true? If so, what will the replacement be?

AGEOD: More than a rumor, as it was announced in the Home of Wargamers 2015, which is the Slitherine Convention! Indeed, there is a new engine in the making that we are developing in-house with several Slitherine developers located in Canada. It will be a turn based (WEGO) engine that strives to be the best of both worlds, between having modern graphics while keeping the innovative gameplay of Ageod.

Interview with Ageod
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Hofstadter

The only ageod game I like is RUS. THE small and scattered forced rushing everywhere by rail really suits the UI
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

rwenstrup

I own all the AGEOD games and like them all. The best are the Birth of America formula ones...Thirty Years War, Alea Jacta Este, Wars in America, Revolution Under Siege, Rise of Prussia, Espana 1936, Napoleon's Campaigns, etc.

The larger ones seem to get bogged down and overload the AI...Civil War 2, Wars of Napoleon, To End All Wars, etc.

It is fun to learn about a new period by reading and then play the game. CV Wedgewood's book on the Thirty Year War is excellent...really helps to make the game fun...

They are good games...they're operational...not tactical...and they explore new periods...

Ian C

This will be day one purchase for me. Simply because:
1. I like AGEOD games and
2. I'm a Brit.

Surtur

Quote from: rwenstrup on February 16, 2017, 07:26:23 AM
I own all the AGEOD games and like them all. The best are the Birth of America formula ones...Thirty Years War, Alea Jacta Este, Wars in America, Revolution Under Siege, Rise of Prussia, Espana 1936, Napoleon's Campaigns, etc.

The larger ones seem to get bogged down and overload the AI...Civil War 2, Wars of Napoleon, To End All Wars, etc.

It is fun to learn about a new period by reading and then play the game. CV Wedgewood's book on the Thirty Year War is excellent...really helps to make the game fun...

They are good games...they're operational...not tactical...and they explore new periods...

Exactly this!
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

IronX

This does sound interesting. I like the more subtle colours and design of the map graphics too (unit counters not as much). I'm also keen to see how Wars of Succession turns out and may eventually pick both up if gamers' impressions are favourable.