Defenders Assemble!

Started by mirth, January 12, 2017, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Marvel's Defenders is out, today, on Netflix.

After the sadly underwhelming Iron Fist treatment, I don't have much in the way of expectations for it.

Thus far, I think the best characters & story, in all these Netflix Marvel series, haven't been about the main character.  Best things about Daredevil was D'Onofrio's Kingpin, Bernthal's Punisher, for example.  Similarly, but to a lesser degree, Cottonmouth, Kilgrave, and the Meachum brother & sister.

And those shows only had one main protagonist.  I fear Defenders may have to divide it's attention too much, leaving the more interesting supporting/opposing characters the short end.

Tpek

I've watched the first 4 episodes so far.
It's rather underwhelming TBH. And seems really really short (only 8 episodes), with little happening in each episode.
(In fact they seem themselves shorter than the normal shows' episodes)

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on August 18, 2017, 07:10:10 PM
I've watched the first 4 episodes so far.
It's rather underwhelming TBH. And seems really really short (only 8 episodes), with little happening in each episode.
(In fact they seem themselves shorter than the normal shows' episodes)

I wasn't that invested, so I count myself fortunate.  I also think the writing, and especially the dialogue, has been very 'meh'.

I only hope they continue the Punisher magic, in his upcoming series.  Will be very disappointed if they screw that up, after his great stint in DD s2.

BanzaiCat

Should I watch all of the pre-series before Defenders?

I mean, watch all of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones?

Is that required before getting the Defenders storyline?

I've seen the first five episodes of Daredevil (season 1), most (but not all) of both Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and maybe one episode of Jessica Jones. Just wondering if the Defenders would be enjoyable for me at this point, or if it's better to slog through all of the above first (which I think was the intent of the creators).

mirth

I've kinda given up on the Netflix Marvel stuff. Watching a lot of it does feel like a slog.

I'm finding the DC television shows more enjoyable. And I can watch those with my kids, unlike Netflix Marvel.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

^ That's kind of how I've been feeling about it all.

I mean, I thought Daredevil was okay - it took a while to ramp up, but I stopped after Episode 5 right when they introduced the Kingpin character. I should have stuck with it.

Luke Cage is a great one, though it's fairly predictable and cliched. (I guess you could make that argument for any 'superhero' series, but it's still enjoyable.)

Iron Fist has good moments, but it's lacking something. Plus I think whomever directs is obsessed with feet. I can do without the closeups.

Jessica Jones, I just couldn't get into in that one episode.

Agents of SHIELD, I really liked the first couple of seasons of, mainly because of how it sort of came out of the first Avengers movie, but I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

mirth

I watched the first 3 seasons of SHIELD but it faded for me. I might pick it up again at some point.

Watched all of Season 1 of Daredevil. Liked it, but it was a slow burn and there were lots of places where it felt like killing time.

Watched most of S1 of Jessica Jones, but then realized I really didn't care and gave it up.

I've seen bits of the others and  they don't do much for me, same problems as Daredevil and JJ.

I'll give Punisher a try because he's such an epic badass character.

The DC shows aren't great, but they're at least fun and, like I said, more kid-friendly. Flash is fun and the cast is uniformly likeable. Arrow is quite good really and worth watching. Legends of Tomorrow is goofy but entertaining and the cast helps keep you engaged.

Haven't watched much of Supergirl or Gotham, but they seem decent enough from the little I have seen.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

Daredevil is great. I'd watch the two seasons of it anyway. I didn't bother to watch any of the other characters shows before diving into Defenders. I think I missed a lot but nothing so far that makes me feel like I have to go back and watch them to enjoy Defenders. The second season of Daredevil is the main plot for the Defenders dealing with Electra and The Hand. It starts off kind of slow too but gets better about mid way. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

I'll have to finish season 2 of DD. Watched the first 3-4 episodes back when they were first released.

BanzaiCat

I enjoyed the few episodes of Arrow I'd watched, and I agree that Flash was very enjoyable - that first season. Season 2 wasn't as good, but it's been a while. I might have to go rewatch everything.

mirth

I haven't made it to S2 of the Flash yet though I've heard it isn't as good as the first. I guess the show has tended to ebb and flow for quality.

Sir Slash

It is a real slow burner at times and all the flashbacks comes close to killing it at times. But the show's done very well and the violence gives it a more real feeling. My wife hates superhero movies but loves Daredevil. It's funny to watch her shout at the TV screen when the bad guys do something really devious or DD does something really dumb. Watching it a second time with her, I pick-up a lot I missed the time through. The Punisher in Season Two nearly steals the whole show and if you don't already know his character's story, really gives you the feeling, "Is this guy a Good Guy or a Bad Guy"?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

I loved Daredevil. I kind of dropped off of Jessica Jones but went back to it and enjoyed it. I wasn't a huge fan of Luke Cage but it was watchable. I just did not like Iron First. Defenders Assemble was very good. Really enjoyed it.

Cannot wait for The Punisher.

As for DC stuff. Nah. Not for me. I've watched an episode here and there or Arrow and Flash and I just can't be doing with them. Even my daughter has dropped off from them.

Also - Agents of Shield was good. Still enjoyable. Not great - but enjoyable and it did tail off in the middle - but it picked back up imo. My daughter and I keep watching.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

JJ - probably 2 episodes 2 long, but an enjoyable story.  I'm hoping they eventually roll out Patsy as Hellcat with the Defenders.

DD - we're about halfway thru S1, but we didn't give up; soccer season kicked in

Iron Fist - haven't even started

Luke Cage - Watched in about 4 nights.  Fun show and the easter eggs are totally worth it

Defenders - Watched the first episode, but decided to try to finish DD first then circle back around to it

Agents of SHIELD - when the first 2 episodes were a direct rip-off of the middle of S1 of Alphas I punted.  I've heard it gets better, and as much as I like Hawkeye & Mockingbird in the comics, I just haven't gotten back around to it

Agent Carter - %$#&$&#&@&#^$%#%@^ it!  Why did that one have to get canceled?!?!

Inhumans - ugh.  Haven't seen a good clip of this yet.

+++

Arrow - we're almost done with S2, but enjoyed it all along.  Moreover, their portrayal of Suicide Squad, and especially Deadshot, was soooo much more accurate than the movie.  We're going to catch up, but it'll take a while b/c there's a lot

Flash / Supergirl - not watched at all, doubt we will given how far behind we are on everything else.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 19, 2017, 12:21:33 PM
I enjoyed the few episodes of Arrow I'd watched, and I agree that Flash was very enjoyable - that first season. Season 2 wasn't as good, but it's been a while. I might have to go rewatch everything.

Agents of SHIELD, I really liked the first couple of seasons of, mainly because of how it sort of came out of the first Avengers movie, but I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

Whew.  You like the cheese, then?

I tried watching some episodes of Agents of Shield.  So much cheese, thought I was in Wisconsin.  Couldn't keep it up.

Same for most anything DC.  I slogged through more Arrow than the rest, but there was still a disconnect.   (EDIT:  Likely due, in part, to being run by network TV :puke emote: )

The only tv series I enjoyed of the bunch was the two seasons of Daredevil, and it had occasional problems.  Such as generally too much time given to the two annoyingly whiny buddies.  Fortunately the other supporting cast & characters made it great.  Kingpin, Punisher, Stick, and perhaps Elektra to some extent, is what made it shine.