What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Uncle Fester did the same thing with his mouth. I mean... the light bulb... with his mouth.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

trailrunner

This is an illuminating discussion.

airboy

airboy

This is engineering and not science, not even human lightbulb science.

Google has laid a huge network of undersea fiber optic cables to enable it to host cloud computing.  The cable project is expected to cost hundreds of millions of dollars.  Google currently controls 25% of the worlds internet traffic.  They have already finished 11 subsea cables.  They are currently building one from Los Angeles to Chile; one from the East Coast of the USA to Denmark and one from Hong Kong to Guam which links up other systems from Australia, East Asia and North America.

Small story buried in the Wall St. Journal page B4 from Jan 17, 2018.

Staggerwing

"Google begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th..."

Sir Slash

And then Google built itself a Time machine to go back and plant a movie where it's called 'Skynet' to throw us off. Hell, I fell for it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Ubercat

.... and along comes a Russian sub ...
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell