NWS to No Longer Stock GMT, DVG, or TPS

Started by Cyrano, December 27, 2016, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Announced yesterday on FB:

NWS Store news; The latest store updates and changes for 2017,

First the board games.. due to changing how I do my ordering, changes in suppliers, reducing my warehouse space, and to help prioritize shipping efficiency and time frames vs selection some publishers will be discontinued.. DVG, GMT and TPS. All preorders, coming soon, and pending orders already in my system will be filled as soon as possible. Publishers that will remain on my store are MMP, Compass, ATO, Legion Wargames, PSC, and BFP. Note, there is some remaining stock of DVG titles at discounted prices on my store so get them while you can as once they are gone they will not be restocked. I also have TPS Arminius at a discounted price in the specials section of my store.

Second, the wargaming miniatures.. I am working hard this coming year to improve shipping time frames - which are already getting better for WG barring any inventory shortages on their end, improve stock levels, and add more product lines. I also now have a 2nd US supply source for miniatures products. I recently added Team Yankee and will be adding more shelf space for stocking 4G and Sarrisa terrain and buildings. A Gates of Antares section is now my store and I will be adding more Warlord Games, and possibly other publisher, product lines very soon!

This is the updated direction for my store operations for 2017. If there are any questions please let me know. As always thank you for the support of my store. Take care friends and please have a safe and happy holiday season!

Spoke not so long ago to them about some of the particular headaches of dealing with DVG's KS model (some of which affected my own purchase).

I have zero inside knowledge, but, as I commented in the year end thread, the industry is going to have to figure out the proper relationship between P500/KS and the end retailer, whether it be on-line or brick-and-mortar.  Time was, you could wander into your FLGS, or hobby store, or even department store, and pick up good hobby game years after its release.  Those days seem to be vanishing and we're left with the secondary market.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

CRAP!  :'(

Not sure I'll ever be able to get another DVG product except at Origins.... maybe...

Grim.Reaper

Kind of bummed since just picked up warfighter ww2...if things went well was going to buy the expansions from him since very good prices... oh well

Barthheart

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 27, 2016, 05:32:50 PM
Kind of bummed since just picked up warfighter ww2...if things went well was going to buy the expansions from him since very good prices... oh well

Ditto, was trying to scrap up the dough for the full monty....  :(

Grim.Reaper

Just curious is there any other good board game shops located in USA that typically had low prices?

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on December 27, 2016, 05:06:25 PM
Time was, you could wander into your FLGS, or hobby store, or even department store, and pick up good hobby game years after its release.  Those days seem to be vanishing and we're left with the secondary market.

This has been - at least for wargames - the situation in Indianapolis for at least 20 years. Actually, it's worse than that, since you can't even get current games anywhere here. It may become that way for other games too; Hero's Emporium in Broadripple just shut their doors on the 15th of this month. If there wasn't enough custom to keep a game store open in the "college town" part of Indy, that doesn't bode well.

The aftermarket and ordering directly via KS/P500 is it, here.  I haven't seen a FLGS actually carrying a wargame since I graduated OSU and moved to South Dakota (kinda thin on FLGSs there, too).

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Quote from: panzerde on December 27, 2016, 05:41:07 PMI haven't seen a FLGS actually carrying a wargame since I graduated OSU and moved to South Dakota (kinda thin on FLGSs there, too).

y'all are in the wrong town!

This is just the ASL stuff at The Gamer's Armory over in Cary.  There's another handful of shelves for GMT, MMP, LNLP, Lost Bn, etc...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Tells you everything you need to know about Indiana. You can sure buy plenty of Colts merchandise, though.

bbmike

Cary! That's where they used to have the NCAA Div II baseball championship! Until that whole transgender bathroom thing that is.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

panzerde

Quote from: bbmike on December 27, 2016, 06:26:11 PM
Cary! That's where they used to have the NCAA Div II baseball championship! Until that whole transgender bathroom thing that is.

Is this the time to point out that you're wearing a coconut bra?

Cyrano

Doug, Enterprise does first-release GMT, no?

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 27, 2016, 05:57:22 PM
Quote from: panzerde on December 27, 2016, 05:41:07 PMI haven't seen a FLGS actually carrying a wargame since I graduated OSU and moved to South Dakota (kinda thin on FLGSs there, too).

y'all are in the wrong town!

This is just the ASL stuff at The Gamer's Armory over in Cary.  There's another handful of shelves for GMT, MMP, LNLP, Lost Bn, etc...

I need to go visit Cary....
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Why? You probably have more ASL stuff than that store does.  :))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on December 27, 2016, 05:06:25 PM

I have zero inside knowledge, but, as I commented in the year end thread, the industry is going to have to figure out the proper relationship between P500/KS and the end retailer, whether it be on-line or brick-and-mortar.  Time was, you could wander into your FLGS, or hobby store, or even department store, and pick up good hobby game years after its release.  Those days seem to be vanishing and we're left with the secondary market.

You've heard me complain about many popular titles, across numerous tabletop genres, always being out of print.

These are the days of the Wait List. 

Where minimal print runs are done.. mostly in China.  Where they take a whole month off for holiday and it takes weeks to ship and unload afterward.  Then sells out within a couple months and it's back to the long reprint wait list to begin anew.  #:-)

Did we just get too spoiled in our youth, being able to go to a hobby shop and find nearly any obscure wargame you were looking for? Or have it there within a week?  The hobby has obviously grown quite a bit in recent years, but can the suppliers ever keep up with demand?

I think KS & P500 have enabled the game manufacturers to elude overproduction risks.. at the expense of customer convenience.  Which is a bit unfortunate.

ArizonaTank

I used to love NWS...  6 or 7 years ago I bought exclusively from NWS.

But with the changes in their way of doing business over the last several years, I find myself going to them less and less.  This will make them less relevant to me... 

Still like the computer games however!!!

Of course I am happy for NWS if that helps them improve business.

But...Long Live Noble Knight Games!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.