Blade Runner 2049

Started by mirth, December 19, 2016, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Good to know. Does anyone get their fingers broken one at a time in this one? If not, that's fine by me cause mine still hurt from seeing it the first time.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2017, 11:05:20 PM
Good to know. Does anyone get their fingers broken one at a time in this one? If not, that's fine by me cause mine still hurt from seeing it the first time.

There's plenty in the film to make you say ouch.  It's bloodier than the first.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2017, 11:05:20 PM

Some hand ouchies are definitely involved.

Crossroads

I had stayed out of this thread until a chance to see the flick, and finally did. At a premium theatre too, with Laser projector and top notch audio, 60 speakers around the room or something like that.

Before, I also watched the Final Cut with the kids. They approved, and went to see 2049 at the opening night. The older one went to see it the second time. A most gorgeous film, was all they said, as I had warned them that if they give out any spoilers I will cut them off from any and all inheritance. Not that they would want my stock of board games anyhow, but they obliged, the good kids that they are.

So, yesterday I finally went and watched it. Kids were worried before: "you can't watch this at home, this is premium theather stuff dad".

And so it was. Wow. Simply. Stunning.  :o

And there was a line in Finnish as well, to top it off. Tää jätkä on Blade Runner. Se on vitun vaarallinen. Annetaan sen olla.   O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

So yeah. Guys: this is premium theatre stuff. Don't wait out.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 17, 2017, 06:53:58 PM
Finally got to see it today.  The movie's freaking awesome. 

The ad campaign was absolutely not representative of the final product, if that's holding anyone back. 

It may be a bit slow for some people's tastes, it gravitates a lot more towards philosophical questions and detective work than action or excitement.  It doesn't hold the audience's hand or even tie up a lot of loose ends.  It's both an ugly and beautiful thing at the same time, intentionally. 

Not at all surprised it's failing at the box office though.  It has a distinct lack of frenetic action with explosions, body humor, zany sidekicks and sight gags.

Anyway, if you love Science Fiction Drama with a touch of film noir, I can't recommend it enough.

I'd even say that, if you like film noir with a touch of sci-fi, this is it. If ever there's a prequel, Humphrey Bogart would fit in just nicely  O0

Sir Slash

"Here's looking at you, Kid". "Now I have to kill you cause you've lived too long". Could work.  :coolsmiley:

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 20, 2017, 11:37:36 AM
"Here's looking at you, Kid". "Now I have to kill you cause you've lived too long". Could work.  :coolsmiley:

I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me.

8)

mirth

Seeing Tuesday night with a couple buddies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

The visuals are certainly wonderful, and definitely something you want to see in the theater.

I think the reason I really liked it was due to the way the characters were portrayed.  The subtle dreariness of their lives, and the way many of the characters each have a certain social need that's not actually being realized, or mistakenly so.  Fortunately such undertones in the movie aren't brutally or clumsily force fed to the viewer.

Barthheart