Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by OJsDad, December 09, 2016, 08:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

'Back To School' made an appearance on HBO last night...I watched this movie repeatedly back in the late 80s/early 90s. Last night when I found it, I showed it to my daughter. "Hey, watch this, you'll be surprised." Sure enough, Robert Downey, Jr. makes his appearance. A very, very, very young RDj.

My daughter was all,  ??? "WTF...that's Iron Man?"

;D

JasonPratt

My main concern about the trailer is that, once again, he's just standing there with his mask off in front of a bunch of people on a train.  :crazy2:

(He had an excuse the previous time, admittedly.)

Edited to add: okay, my main concern about the actual trailer, is that the trailer-makers used the same "this is my chance to prove myself" flip over the copter with the web-wings sequence twice. That's just sloppy -- possibly the single sloppiest thing I've seen regarding all the Marvel films so far. (Which is certainly praising with faint damnation, but still.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Spiderman is the only Marvel hero that's been able to go back in time and get young again every time they make a new movie about him, so that's special. Maybe Dr. Strange is helping him out with that Time-Thing he uses.  \m/
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

And he gets a new hot girlfriend each time. He may be the most powerful superhero of all.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Dammit Carl!

Nice.  Have always liked the Spider Man character.  Only hope they can keep his usual "smart-ass," level of banter up to par.

BanzaiCat

Spider-Man was my gateway into serious comic collecting back in the day. I was already beholden to Iron Man and remember in middle school I'd ride my bike up to the corner store to get Iron Man and GI Combat from the stand every so often. Once I had a car and started visiting actual comic stores, Spidey was my first choice, then X-Men second.

Sir Slash

I loved G.I. Combat. Loved the artwork and the 'Haunted Tank' theme. Good times.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

If Michael Keaton were playing Beetlejuice in this movie I'd camp out to be the first to see it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on March 28, 2017, 11:42:26 AM
If Michael Keaton were playing Beetlejuice in this movie I'd camp out to be the first to see it.

After doing Birdman, I think it's a hoot that he's playing the Vulture.

( Get it, MD? A hoot! )

Martok

Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2017, 11:28:17 AM

Yep, still want to see it.  O0 

Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2017, 11:28:17 AM
Hottest

Aunt May

Ever
Well yeah!  When she's played by Ms. Tomei...  :smitten: 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

The lady in charge of Sony's Spider-plans (I forget her name) made waves in the past few days by talking about how rare it is that rival movie production studios would share characters like Spider-man, and that after the next MCU Solo-spider movie "it might never happen again".

What Sony is evidently betting on, is that they can use the upcoming Venom and Black Cat / Silver Sable films (plus maybe something else) to keep rights to this corner of Marvel until MCUSpider2 arrives (after Infinity War 1 or 2), and then piggyback on fan desire for good Spider-man films to bootstrap him back into their stable permanently away from Marvel.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

That strikes me as an hilariously long shot on Sony's part.  But then, that might be the best (only?) hand they can really play at this point. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

The Venom movie could be a long shot. But they're in something of a cleft stick trying it. He's a character intrinsically tied to Spider-man, but he could be written without any ties. If they go the former route it's going to be super weird without connections to SM. If they go the latter route -- which is entirely feasible (and word is that Sony is aiming for an R-rated horror film, plus the new Life film shows how they could make the idea work without any connection to SM), then trying to tie SM back later in would look overconveniently weird.

The BC/SS movie, on the other hand, could theoretically work without ever having the remotest ties to Spider-man. Sony could literally create a whole side-continuity featuring them teaming up against Spider-rogues (the vast majority of whom also don't have or need ties to Spider-man), and maybe picking up some teammates for an alternate super-team. That would be my strategy: let Marvel continue paying us (at Sony) to use Parker and his immediate supporting cast, then build up brand value for the rogue gallery that the MCU hasn't bid back yet.

It would be the film-studio equivalent of hate sex.   >:D O0

mirth