Tom Cruise is (somehow not) the Mummy!

Started by JasonPratt, December 01, 2016, 10:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

...rather, the Mummy will be a hot babe now. Like... the Anti-Leeloo, I guess?

You could do worse for your Universal Monster Universe Rebootup attempt than get Tom Cruise to headline its first entry -- although then I don't know where you go from there, is he going to be the thread for all of them or what? And the teaser trailer sure looks as different as possible from the previous Mummy trilogy (the first of which I still hugely enjoy, the second of which I respected for some reasons even though I didn't and don't enjoy it as much, and the third of which I'll get around to seeing someday I guess).

But I can't say the teaser trailer is doing anything for me yet, either. It looks like a gloomy, noisy mess. Evil Mummy Goddess Or Whatever looks interesting the few times she's flashed (pun quite intended) on screen, but that's it.

Look, I'm not entirely difficult to please. I love the first of the Mummy trilogy movies (as noted); I pretty much love the Wolf Man remake (at least the extended cut) even though I didn't appreciate the over-the-top violence (but still, I understood it: werewolf movie); heck, I even enjoyed Dracula Untold a lottttttt more than I was expecting. We're not going to go with either the Wolf Man remake or, so far as I've heard, DracUntold, though. So... I just don't know what to feel about this yet, other than a migraine.

Also, everyone noticed I made a joke about TC's leathery skin in my thread title, right? That was my most enjoyment out of the trailer so far.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I thought all Scientologists had L. Ron Hubbard for their Mummys'   :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

The official trailer release looks somewhat better:

I... guess they're going to go with a genderflip version of the story all the way, with Princess Amenet (or however it's spelled) looking for her reincarnated lover -- which in today's world I might have bet would be the blonde archaeologist character (also hearkening back to the Hammer lesbian horror exploitation movies), but since TC's military officer gets brought back to life himself maybe it's him? Could go either way. Anyway, looks better. A good idea to lead with the plane crash sequence anchoring most of the trailer.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

This is definitely not a franchise that needed a reboot.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

I guess da Bitch don't like ta fly?  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

the Mummy Princes actress looks like the one who played the blade-legged paraplegic assassin from Kingsman.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

I was quite unimpressed with the trailer.

Why are people saying the iris-splitting thing looks good?  It's neither scary nor all that impressive for CGI.  WTF?

And having some slender little half-naked chica playing a monster?    :pullhair: 

I want my monsters scary, disgusting, and intimidating!   :tickedoff:  If these MFers are going to gyna-up movies like this, they better make it look like some big horrid badass of a nightmarish hag.  Assholes.  :knuppel2:

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 05, 2016, 08:08:50 PM
the Mummy Princes actress looks like the one who played the blade-legged paraplegic assassin from Kingsman.

That's because it is.  Just watched Kingsman the other night.  The second installment comes out in 2017.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4649466/?ref_=nv_sr_2
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2016, 08:50:41 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 05, 2016, 08:08:50 PM

That's because it is.  Just watched Kingsman the other night.  The second installment comes out in 2017.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4649466/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Hope it's as much fun as the first. Maybe there'll be two Swedish Princesses this time...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on December 05, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
This is definitely not a franchise that needed a reboot.

The way I understood it, they are remaking the whole series of classic gothic monster movies.  Mummy, Vampire, Werewolf, etc.   Dunno if those will be the actual names, mind you, but it sounded like they were wanting to revivify the old black & white monster flick themes.  Not necessarily those few mummy movies from a couple decades ago.   More reboots either way, huh?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on December 05, 2016, 08:41:03 PM
And having some slender little half-naked chica playing a monster?    :pullhair: 

I want my monsters scary, disgusting, and intimidating!   :tickedoff:  If these MFers are going to gyna-up movies like this, they better make it look like some big horrid badass of a nightmarish hag.  Assholes.  :knuppel2:
Don't forget the 10 dolla, cheap table dancing, lap dancing ho in Suicide Squad  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Did the trailer for the trailer, and the trailer itself, not get enough good buzz?

...welllllll.... what if Imax releases the trailer missing a lot of its sound 'tracks'? The result is both a little creepier and a lot funnier!

Imax took it down almost instantly, but the internet will have what she has been denied, or words to that effect, and the trailer is getting more attention now than either of the previous entries.

Intentional marketing hook? Fortuitous accident?