Main Menu

Knights of Honor

Started by airboy, November 15, 2016, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Can't seem to install the mod with Steam.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

LOL.

Purchased: 12/27/2010

Not installed.

Hours played: 0

::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Anguille

Quote from: bbmike on November 17, 2016, 03:36:55 PM

You have to start the installer from the Knights of Honor folder.

bbmike

Yeah, that's where it is. It doesn't want to install the official patches and when the HD patch comes up it says it can't find KoH.exe. It creates a folder called "New Folder" in my Knight of Honor directory but that's about it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Tried it with my non-Steam version (GamersGate) and it worked just fine.  O0
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: Anguille on November 17, 2016, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 17, 2016, 03:36:55 PM

You have to start the installer from the Knights of Honor folder.

:(

jamus34

I thought I had this...lo and behold I do.

Still haven't had time to play yet.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

I won as Poland.  I had the largest kingdom (25 provinces) and got a minor victory as an "achievements win."

To win a straight military/diplomatic victory you have to control militarily all of the provinces of Europe.  Or you can win the election of Emperor of Europe.  You win that by being one of the two largest (in terms of controlled provinces) kingdoms and then winning the election.  You become very powerful and gain a diplomatic alliance with at least 3 of the other top 7 kingdoms in terms of size. 

I may have been able to do this with Poland - but it would have taken days more of play.  I had enough economic and military clout to keep crushing my enemies.  But getting your population back to happy requires converting the religious to your religion (very slow) and rebuilding your military units after the conquest (also slow).  It can be done in a methodical pace - but you cannot quickly grow your empire and do everything necessary to stop the rebellions.  This is not a complaint about the game design - overcoming the disruption of a succession to the throne and reconciling populations and keeping rebellions down was not easy in that time period.

After a lot of grief, you can finally reach an economic take-off point.  But to get to this point you have got to purge out all of the spies in your leadership (very hard to do) and win enough battles and economic development to have a politically stable kingdom through the reoccurring succession crises.  I found a critical factor was having a king to had at least 2 princes as heirs who reached maturity before the old king dies.  You make the 2nd heir head spy.  Then you "almost certainly" have a head spy that is loyal.  Get the head spy up to level 5 and they finally start identifying the enemy spies in your court.  You can eventually, slowly, build up a court that is loyal to your kingdom.

Anytime you get two adult princes you must make the 2nd one a knight.  Every once in a while your king dies with no heirs.  If you don't have a member of the royal family in the distant past as one of your knights then your best military leader will become king.  Then it will take forever to get somebody else up enough ranks to be an effective military commander in the mid to late game.

This was a fun game.  But their are multiple layers to the game and if you forget to execute on one of those you are eventually going to see your sandcastle fall.

Even the great historical leaders of Europe during this time period had to keep putting down rebellions.  No kingdom was ever able to keep away from fights for the throne for multiple successions after the death of the king.

Gusington

Has anyone used the mod mentioned above with the Steam version? I'm getting ready to mod this up and play.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Alright so I did install the KoH Ulitmate Mod and it installed without issue. But the game is running only in the lower right half of my monitor. Any suggestions?  :buck2:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

You installed the 1.05 patch correct? Here is a thread that may help in getting it to run in fullscreen. http://steamcommunity.com/app/25830/discussions/0/350540973995696301/

Also might try fiddling with the Fullscreen option in the ini files maybe change it from a 1 to a 0, or vice versa. I believe the games ini files are in "your documents folder".

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2016, 09:37:01 PM
Has anyone used the mod mentioned above with the Steam version? I'm getting ready to mod this up and play.

I did but I had to amend the registry - totally worth it, it's my current game of choice

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2016, 09:54:49 PM
Alright so I did install the KoH Ulitmate Mod and it installed without issue. But the game is running only in the lower right half of my monitor. Any suggestions?  :buck2:

Yeah, I think there was an .ini file in the KoH directory that needs editing. Can't remember exactly what. Google Knights of Honor full screen and there should be some solutions about it.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Found this thread on Steam. I think it's the one I used to fix the full screen issue.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak