Winter War - Finns vs. Commies - Order of Battle WW2

Started by airboy, October 31, 2016, 06:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

The AAR is very interesting Airboy. I'm trying hard to be respectful and limit my crass puns out of respect to the Fallen.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Turn 2 - How the Scenario Went

The Finns lack enough troops to hold the line.  There are enough bunkers that the Russkies cannot push through without combat.  But those bunkers can be taken out in one or two turns of attack.  The ski troops are very mobile, but limited in numbers.  The screen shots from turn 2 show what happened throughout this scenario.  The commies concentrate some forces and make an attack.  On turn 2 they attacked two points in the line that were separated by considerable distance.  The Finns bring in ski troops and counter-attack, while the regular troop unit retreats and reinforces. 

The Russians never attacked all out across the line.  As a result the Finns were (barely) able to hold on by moving their mobile ski troops from place to place.  Russian armor attacks were even harder to repulse since the Finns had only one armor unit and the AT guns are not very mobile in the snow.  The Commie Armor attacks were usually defeated either because:
1] The armor got surrounded because the flanks were not secured
or
2] The Finns got pounded until the AT guns arrived and shot up the tanks.

The AI, like most AIs does much better on defense than on attack.  I think that a human opponent could take the same troops and break the Finn's line wide open.  At minimum, I think a moderately competent human opponent would concentrate and coordinate their attacks better.

Turn 2 - Commie Attacks

Turn 3 - The Ski Troops Move In

airboy

Turn 7 - Unsupported Attacks, Dead Commies & Leadership

This screenshot shows a couple of things.  First, there is an unsupported attack (in commie red) which is an example of the AI throwing away their troops.  Second, there are piles of dead commies from failed attacks.  Third, I have earned two leaders.  Both of those units have a radius where their influence helps nearby units.  The screenshot shows that leadership range.  My two leader units are the only units (other than my solo tank unit) which are getting elite replacements at this time.  I'm hording my other replacement points to pay for future troop upgrades as they become available.

airboy

Turn 11 - Commies Capture a Victory Hex for about 3 Hours

The screen shots of the beginning and the end of turn 11 tell the tale.

airboy

Turn 17 - Throwing Away your Armor

The AI made numerous attacks during this scenario with unsupported armor.  If they had coordinated with their infantry attacks, the Finns would have been in deep trouble.  The two screenshots show the start and the end of turn 17.  The Soviet Tank breaks through and captures an airfield.  But their flank is guarded by a single, damaged infantry unit.  The Finn ski units counter-attack, destroy the commie infantry, and isolate the Russian armor.

Turn 17 Start

Turn 17 End

airboy

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 03, 2017, 01:00:39 PM
So is that a win or a loss?

A win.  But historically the Finn's made territorial concessions to end the war after stopping the commies from swallowing the entire country.

Sir Slash

Crossroads

Well fought airboy, the entire nation is proud of you!   :clap:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

airboy

The War Resumes

Scenario 7 - Artic Fox

Finland has the misfortune to be located beside Imperial Russia/Soviet Union.  Only Poland which is between Russia and Germany has suffered with worse European neighbors.

When the Nazis invaded the Commies they persuaded Finland to enter the War.  Finland's motivation was to retake territory lost to the Commies in 1939-1940.  They probably hoped the Nazis would knock the USSR out of Europe.  Finland faced bad choices.  Despite fighting well (as the continuing AAR will show), Finland ultimately lost even more territory to the Communists.  Even today Sweden, Poland and the Baltics are rapidly rearming seeing what Russia did to the Crimea, Georgia, and the Ukraine. 

Between the Wars the Finn's equipped their airforce with the mighty Brewster Buffalo!

airboy

Artic Fox: Turn 1 to Turn 3

A handful of German units joined the Finns.  Two infantry units, one armor unit, and a tactical bomber.  The attack is in two prongs which move quickly to link up in turn 3.  So far the attack is on schedule.

Turn 1 - Two Prong Attack

Turn 3 - Linkup

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Well, they managed to fight very well, but the Nazis lost the war.  The Finn's ended up losing even more territory to buy peace with the Commies.  But the Finn's retained their independence.  Resuming the war against the Commies as allies with the Nazis ended up being a bad decision.

But at least the commies did not think it was worthwhile to continue fighting the Finns to swallow the entire country.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus