Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Started by OJsDad, October 19, 2016, 12:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

The once-and-current Nostalgia Chick, Lindsey Ellis (whose last name I correctly remembered to remember correctly this time  ::) ), essays on why despite her broad meh of the MCU and superhero film oversaturation generally.... reaaaaally, liked GotG2. In her dry inimitable way.  :smitten:

Note: she talks a lot (and appreciatively) about both films, so don't worry, there's context.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

While we're at it, not sure if this was already posted upthread -- it goes back to May, and uses 'filmed' footage from a showing (i.e. bootleg footage) -- but it's nicely full of explanations for a lot of the details in the movie...

...including the two hidden meanings of Quill's shirt that looks like it reads "Yeah, Baby"  (but not exactly) in an alien language, and why the little shot of Baby Groot freezing his dancing when Drax looks at him, has an actual meaning in the film.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

This suddenly came up on Netflix in the US earlier in the week.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2017, 08:26:29 AM
This suddenly came up on Netflix in the US earlier in the week.

Yep. I watched it the other day. I actually like it more after multiple viewings.

JasonPratt

Watched it again the other day (for the 2nd time I think, maybe 3rd), and suddenly thought to myself: Kurt Russel is playing Gene Hackman playing 'that' character.  :smitten:

Also, the execution of the main villain's plan ends up making little sense, even though the broad shape works fine.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 12, 2017, 09:09:07 AM
Watched it again the other day (for the 2nd time I think, maybe 3rd), and suddenly thought to myself: Kurt Russel is playing Gene Hackman playing 'that' character.  :smitten:

I keep wanting to ask my buddy Dave what it was like to work with Kurt Russell and Marky Mark in Deepwater Horizon.

mirth

Also, the execution of the main villain's plan ends up making little sense, even though the broad shape works fine.

The villain plan in any of the Marvel movies is always the weakest point. It's better not to think about it beyond, "Big Bad must be stopped".

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on December 12, 2017, 09:15:25 AM

The villain plan in any of the Marvel movies is always the weakest point. It's better not to think about it beyond, "Big Bad must be stopped".

To be fair, that's always the way it was with the comics, wasn't it?

A) I'm going to destroy the world!
B) I'm going to take over the world!
C) I'm going to destroy (superhero group)!

Though I know this is a totally valid point. It's funny, the only time where Marvel storylines were believable and engaging for me both were the What If comics, especially the What If Phoenix Lived one.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2017, 09:24:51 AM

Pretty much. I don't get too hung up on plot or continuity with any comic book movies because comics themselves have never been much concerned with such things.

BanzaiCat

Except when it comes to DC movies, though it's like shooting duck candy in a barrel.

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2017, 09:24:51 AM

A) I'm going to destroy the world!
B) I'm going to take over the world!
C) I'm going to destroy (superhero group)!

Though I know this is a totally valid point. It's funny, the only time where Marvel storylines were believable and engaging for me both were the What If comics, especially the What If Phoenix Lived one.

Back in the 70's there were a few Marvel/DC crossover comics, some of them in a large edition format. One of them brought together Superman and Spiderman, as well as Lex Luthor and Doc Octopus. in this megacomic Lex and Doc work together to break out of jail, amass some sweet loot, and then capture the two superheroes afterwards. As a grandiosely gloating Lex Luthor suddenly reveals his psycho plan to destroy the entire Earth Spiderman says to a shocked Doc Oc "So, now where are you going to spend your loot?"

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

IIRC, those crossover comics were almost always giant advertisements produced specifically to pimp one product or another.

JasonPratt

Other than to pimp each other  >:D  I don't recall what that crossover would have done. It was pretty high quality art as I recall, too, and largely centered on the then-new Skylab. They followed up with a sort-of sequel later, not quite so art detailed. (In the sequel Superman briefly fights the Hulk and Spider-man briefly fights Wonder Woman.)