Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Started by OJsDad, October 19, 2016, 12:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

So I agree with what has been said here and in several reviews - not as good as the first, but still very good. Felt like it was trying a little too hard in spots. I thought the facial CGI for the young Kurt Russell was almost as off-putting as what was done to Carrie Fisher in Rogue One. Wish they'd just stop trying it.

There were some great action set pieces. I thought Michael Rooker/Yondo was the one who really stole the movie.

Well worth seeing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Capn Darwin

I'm going to go against the grain and say it was better than the first. Lots of humor and action, both subtle and happy you in the face. Character development was done well. A well done mix of very different elements. I will see it again.  <:-)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on May 06, 2017, 02:41:33 PM
So I agree with what has been said here and in several reviews - not as good as the first, but still very good. Felt like it was trying a little too hard in spots. I thought the facial CGI for the young Kurt Russell was almost as off-putting as what was done to Carrie Fisher in Rogue One. Wish they'd just stop trying it.

There were some great action set pieces. I thought Michael Rooker/Yondo was the one who really stole the movie.

Well worth seeing.

Yondu was good. Drax was a hoot. I enjoyed little Groot more than I expected. Saw it in IMAX and young Kurt Russell actually looked ok. Better than young Carrie Fisher.
Any time is a good time for pie.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 04, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
Thor 2.  :clap: Or, Thor 2 too.

True, too: can't believe I didn't think to include that!

Halloween 2. Ranks up there with Jaws 2 in sequels I thought were better than the original.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Jaws 2 was not better than the original. No frickin way.

bob48

Just couldn't get your teeth into it?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

The premise was a bit fishy.

JasonPratt

I'm surprised someone didn't take that bait earlier! I couldn't decide if I had buried it too well, or if enough people surprisingly agreed with me on it!  <:-)

Objectively better than J1 in several ways, not as artistic tho. (And missing both Hooper and Quint, the latter for obvs. So admittedly less good in that regard. But the script design turns around and makes that lack a feature not a bug!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

just read the last 3 posts and understand why youre friendzoned so much.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

The second time I did it with my Ex was better than the first. Does that count?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on May 06, 2017, 02:41:33 PM
I thought the facial CGI for the young Kurt Russell was almost as off-putting as what was done to Carrie Fisher in Rogue One. Wish they'd just stop trying it.

Frighteningly enough, there was no CGI used to de-age Russel for the film.  I read an article in the Washington Post where they asked Gunn how they'd pulled the effect off, and it was done almost entirely with makeup.  They cleaned it up by having another actor that looks like a young Russel, Aaron Schwartz, mimic Russell's movements in a second take, and did some superimposing. 

I agree that it was a bit uncanny valley, but can't help but be impressed by the method.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

^it is impressive as a technique then. I assumed it was mostly CG (as did several reviewers). It's become almost common place now.

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2017, 03:10:20 AM
^it is impressive as a technique then. I assumed it was mostly CG (as did several reviewers). It's become almost common place now.

Just saw it today. Agree on the young KR not really being "good".

I also thought some of the humor / one liners felt a little forced.

I did like the overall story line however.
Insert witty comment here.