More undead pirates in the carribbean again... woo hoo ho and a bottle of hum

Started by JasonPratt, October 05, 2016, 08:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Woo-Hoo! Un-Dead sharks! Dats wat I be taukin'  'bout Willis.  :arr:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

UNDEAD PIRATE THREAD ARISE!

When I saw the first longer non-teaser trailer for PotC5 a few weeks ago, I thought, "Man, the writers are trying maybe a little too hard to get back to the Will/Elizabeth couple dynamic, perhaps..." Then I thought. "Huh, I wonder how much time is supposed to have passed; the boy supposedly knows Jack Sparrow, and the Spaniard thinks he's the key to getting in touch. Is this supposed to be the Turners' son?!"

Now some sharp-eyed viewers have spotted a few frames of Will Turner (as captain of the Dutchman) in the trailers.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 31, 2017, 08:21:24 PM
When I saw the first longer non-teaser trailer for PotC5 a few weeks ago, I thought, "Man, the writers are trying maybe a little too hard to get back to the Will/Elizabeth couple dynamic, perhaps..." Then I thought. "Huh, I wonder how much time is supposed to have passed; the boy supposedly knows Jack Sparrow, and the Spaniard thinks he's the key to getting in touch. Is this supposed to be the Turners' son?!"

Now some sharp-eyed viewers have spotted a few frames of Will Turner (as captain of the Dutchman) in the trailers.

we already know the boy makes it to at least 10, since that's the scene at the end of the 3rd movie
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

True, but my impression was that PotC4 hadn't gotten nearly that far caught up to the post-credit scene of 3.

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 31, 2017, 08:21:24 PM
And I now see that IMDB has Orlando Bloom officially listed as part of the cast for the last Pirates film as well.  Interesting... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

I don't think this is intended to be the last one. This is the beginning of the end; I think they're intending a new trilogy, for (as it happens) two trilogies and a not-really-important connecting film in the middle. (It was okay, though; I liked it, arguably better than 2 and 3, which were noisy, draggy, tone-deaf plot shuffles, albeit occasionally entertaining ones.)

Martok

What has you thinking/saying this is the only the first film in a new trilogy?  (No offense, but I really hope your wrong.  Entertaining as the franchise has been, it's past time to put it away.) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

(1) I heard buzz about a new trilogy back before #4, with the idea being that if 4 did well enough they'd make a second trilogy. But if the property seemed played out with audiences, then they only risked one film which they could probably recoup internationally and on video.

(2) One of the trailers says "the end begins" or something like that. If this was the very start of a series it might be a portent of doom in-story. This far into a series, it's typically a calculated promotional tease to play with fan emotions: WAIT THIS IS THE LAST ONE?! OH GOOD IT ISN'T. WAIT THE LAST ONE IS COMING!

This fits buzz I heard back before #4, and film companies are historically more likely to plan a trilogy (for an original work not an adaptation) than a duology or quartology or whatever. (Edited to clarify: I haven't heard trilogy buzz yet since the new film started marketing, however.)

Thus I infer that plans for a final trilogy are in motion.

Added to this, Johnny Depp hasn't succeeded in migrating well to other franchises and he's getting old for giant moneymakers like this. He'd be strategically wise to plan a cash out while he still can.

JasonPratt

ScreenRant interviews the young man in the trailer, very much confirming this is Will Turner's son. (Though nothing is said about Elizabeth which seems odd.)

http://screenrant.com/pirates-caribbean-5-henry-turner-will-son/

It hasn't come across in trailers yet, but the overarching plot (CLEARLY AIMING FOR MORE THAN ONE MOVIE!) is Henry Turner trying to save his father from being Captain of the Flying Dutchman, first by finding the trident of Poseidon. (Why that would make any difference... who knows? Maybe it dissolves into a tower of crabs.)

JasonPratt

International trailers are confirming that Elizabeth will be in the film as well.

Just got finished doing a retrospective rewatch of 2, 3, and 4. I was rather meh about 2 and 3 when I first saw them in theaters (unlike 1 which I adored from the first); but I appreciate them a little more on each rewatch at home. I think I notice new details on each watch.

#4 (released 6 years ago!), I liked immediately a lot more than 2 and 3, and that opinion hasn't faded -- I still like it second best of the series, although its silly 3D in-your-face bits don't age well. I hadn't recalled that the film ends with a rather strong bit of plotting that in one case clearly carried over into the new film(s): Jack and Gibbs are still searching for a way to free the Black Pearl, trapped in a bottle by Blackbeard. Far more subtly, Barbossa ends the movie in command of the Queen Anne's Revenge (and crew, sans zombie officers) and rather more importantly wielding the very powerful Sword of Triton, a magical artifact that allows him to control any nearby ship (especially his own) telekinetically. Hopefully this won't be just waved off between films. (I'd like to see Penelope Cruz and her character back again, too, but I guess she isn't strictly necessary. She was just fun.  :smitten: )

So far 2/3 and 4 separately, have tried to do different things (more and less ambitiously) with undead pirates. I have trouble believing the new film(s) aren't going to that well too often now. I do however suspect that the current plan is to set up a final duology, using #4 as the jumping off point (creating a de facto trilogy like with 2 and 3), with an option to expand into a final 7th film if reception of this one merits it.

JasonPratt

For anyone who doesn't want to do a recap watch of the prior 4 films.

Staggerwing

I heard a news blurb recently that claimed the master footage for PotC5 is being held for ransomware.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Yeah, I read that as well. I thought it was a joke at first, and the ransom demand was going to be a chest of dubloons and a fast sloop.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!