So has anybody here read all 30 + Horus Heresy novels ?

Started by MIGMaster, September 10, 2016, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I'm on book 4 and have about 2 books arriving every two weeks - I can't stop reading these things - it's like book crack !

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

MIGMaster

Scary isn't it ! This is the series in order (which includes anthologies of short stories):

Horus Rising   Dan Abnett   2006
False Gods   Graham McNeill   2006
Galaxy in Flames   Ben Counter   2006
The Flight of the Eisenstein   James Swallow   2007
Fulgrim   Graham McNeill   2007
Descent of Angels   Mitchel Scanlon   2007
Legion   Dan Abnett   2008
Battle for the Abyss   Ben Counter   2008
Mechanicum   Graham McNeill   2008
Tales of Heresy   Various   2009
Fallen Angels   Mike Lee   2009
A Thousand Sons   Graham McNeill   2010
Nemesis   James Swallow   2010
The First Heretic   Aaron Dembski-Bowden   2010
Prospero Burns   Dan Abnett   2011
Age of Darkness   Various   2011
The Outcast Dead   Graham McNeill   2011
Deliverance Lost   Gav Thorpe   2011
Know No Fear   Dan Abnett   2012
The Primarchs   Various   2012
Fear to Tread   James Swallow   2012
Shadows of Treachery   Various   2012
Angel Exterminatus   Graham McNeill   2013
Betrayer   Aaron Dembski-Bowden   2013
Mark of Calth   Various   2013
The Unremembered Empire   Dan Abnett   2014
Scars   Chris Wraight   2014
Vengeful Spirit   Graham McNeill   2014
The Damnation of Pythos   David Annandale   2014
Tallarn: Ironclad   John French   2015
Legacies of Betrayal   Various   2014
Deathfire   Nick Kyme   2015
War Without End   Various   2015
Pharos   Guy Haley   2015
Eye of Terra   Various   2016
The Path of Heaven   Chris Wraight   2016
The Silent War   Various   2016
Angels of Caliban   Gav Thorpe   2016
The Crimson King   Graham McNeill    ???

undercovergeek

I flew through to fallen angels and then got too busy with work but I loved the ones i read

I wouldn't worry though, before you get to the end GW will claim the lore was all wrong and make them all be rewritten so you have to buy them again

JasonPratt

That's the production order, not necessarily chronological or topical.

I've read the first four novels and novellas in chronological order (which would be Descent of Angels, Some Novella Featuring the Eldar On Dinosaurs the Title of Which I Forget, Legion and Horus Rising), but got off on other things. I enjoyed what I did read a lot, but I doubt I'll go back until I plow through the vastly-much-cheaper and just-as-epic (and just-as-variable-in-overall-quality) MtG novels.  ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Very weird advert on TV tonight for the books - never seen gw on the telly before

One of those start collecting now things - one a week for the next eleventy million weeks usually reserved for a galleon or a tyrannasaur

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 13, 2016, 03:36:52 PM
Very weird advert on TV tonight for the books - never seen gw on the telly before

Huh. I have to wonder if that's due to the recent preponderance of Warhammer games (40K and standard) on PC and mobiles.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MIGMaster

I can't stop reading the damn things! I've noticed that the farther into the series you read (by production order) the further back in time you go. The stories of the characters, such as Fulgrim and Garro are good and it really adds some depth to the characters and universe.

The down side is like you say - GW will probably turn the whole series into a dream in the mind of Horus while he sleeps than the real Heresy series will begin.  :o

I want to start reading some of the Space Marine series, but I may have to find another job to finance the adventure - GW loves their money. Between me buying these books and my Son buying miniatures the amount of disposable income going to GW is large.  :)

BanzaiCat

Okay, I'll bite with the first one. I've been wanting to read these for a while now.

Dammit Carl!

No, but Dan Abnett has the WH40K milieu down cold so I'd just read what he wrote and call it good.

Seriously, Gaunt's Ghosts and the Inquisitor series should be required reading before even touching a WH40K rpg. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd