GM's Apprentice Decks

Started by Nefaro, August 19, 2016, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I also though about multidecks, the random dice numbers are probably distributed over a 120 card deck , so you probably cant split a deck.

I'm glad you posted this info, its the best buy I ever made in gaming of any kind.

bayonetbrant

I'm totally planning on looking into at least the Steampunk deck, and maybe the base deck, depending on cost and when/if they have a special at all
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on August 23, 2016, 08:22:21 PM
I also though about multidecks, the random dice numbers are probably distributed over a 120 card deck , so you probably cant split a deck.

I'm glad you posted this info, its the best buy I ever made in gaming of any kind.

Ahh, yes.  You're right about the die rolls.  But I'd probably just roll my own dice, if that were needed.  But the distribution of the Yes/No and the Bell Curve random number, as a couple examples, might still end up being prone to "bunching up" together too.

I suppose each genre-specific decks has plenty variety, with so many bits on 120 cards.  Was mainly thinking of my Sci-Fi Horror and Victorian/Steampunk Horror settings (such as Dark Heresy, Mutant Chronicles, and Leagues Of Gothic Horror).

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 23, 2016, 08:32:41 PM
I'm totally planning on looking into at least the Steampunk deck, and maybe the base deck, depending on cost and when/if they have a special at all

Haven't really looked at the Steampunk one.  Usually not big on the genre, myself, other than the alt-history it coincides with.  But I'd be interested in hearing how gonzo the Steampunk themes get in it.  I try to keep it pretty light, where it exists.

At $20 a pop, I'm not sure what or how many I'll get, initially.  I'm always wrinkling my nose at shipping costs, so getting more than one at a time is ideal. 

gameleaper

That's amazing you thought about the bunching up, I didn't realise 2 decks could end up mutated into clusters. that would stop you using two of the same decks too. whoever made these decks up is so intelligent and you can tell he's a RPGer, and not just a company throwing something together, its genious what these cards do.

'two of the same decks' why would I say that :))

gameleaper

I have already figured out another deck type, a driving set of cards, with lights gearbox can indicate speed, brakes, traffic lights, road signals and hand signals, trucks motorbikes, all the different parts of the car like wheels, mainly would be used for a modern setting, with car chases etc...

Nefaro

Chase rules are often a mixed bag regarding rules vs detail.  So I could see the need for some extra narrative nudges if there a lot of car/ship chases in your campaign.

I've been slow to bring the Star Wars RPG to the table, despite having some possible victims players willing to give it a go.  Partially due to what I perceive as an higher focus on chases (vehicle, starship, and anything else) in the Star Wars universe, compared to others.  Which means I'll have to both learn the chase rules pretty well, and have to come up with different settings, environments, and environmental conditions for each chase so that they don't get too repetitive & same-y.

Pretty much every RPG setting will have chases of some sort.  But some just seem to demand featuring them more often.  Especially in such cases as Star Wars, since it's largely missing at least one major staple of most other RPGs - Horror.  So you put more emphasis elsewhere.

Quote from: gameleaper on August 23, 2016, 09:22:32 PM
That's amazing you thought about the bunching up, I didn't realise 2 decks could end up mutated into clusters.

Thanks.  Probably just a side effect of having played quite a few Adventure boardgames which feature multiple or large decks of multi-function event & encounter cards, somewhat similar to these in function.

After playing with such deck-based randomizers, you tend to notice such things.  Even with good & thorough shuffling, there will be a few small repititious pockets.  Not much of a worry mixing unless the separate decks have weighted numbers (such as the rolls and the actual weighted bell curve numbers on these) or... and this is very important to me... the physical cards are cut unevenly.  Drives me nuts when I do some quick but thorough poker shuffling of a single deck and some cards are slightly longer than others.  Then I either have to bend the cards much further than normal, or the shorter ones stay bunched-up near the longer ones.

Nevertheless, I always thought this kind of big multi-function card deck was the most efficient way to go when it came to game-related randomization.  Much faster than rolling + tables, and you can fit tons of stuff on each one, as you've noticed.

gameleaper

I know tabletop and cards are your thing, but If you wanted to test a set of cards in an app, I have just done one, with 120 cards per deck, it has a lot more features such as dice generators , suggestion generators, lists , Coin flipping, and a virtual GM and more things, It just may be of use to you to test a deck without printing and if it works out then print, its primarily for creating your own decks. I know it may not be your thing, but to create a star wars deck on a PC first then after your happy print it, but like I said you probably will not like digital stuff as much, so disregard if you like.

gamelink windows and Mac
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwg1l-y33WTRYmU4U08zSGZOYlk/view?usp=sharing

screenshot
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwg1l-y33WTRWE9nNnI5MEFZa00/view?usp=sharing

Nefaro

I've been keeping an eye on it. 

Even though I prefer the tactile feel of all the paper & cardboard physical bits, I'll d/l your program again.  After awhile, anyway, since you look to be regularly improving it right now (which is always good). 

I actually downloaded it a couple times, earlier, but can wait.  Don't plan on using these decks, or a program, for awhile yet.  My gaming hobbies are all over the place right now.

bayonetbrant

The Pathfinder guys have a couple of decent Chase Decks that you could look into
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

the earlier version didn't have a card deck, they were suggestion boxes, but bbmike swayed me in making a unified card drawing program, with all the other feastures from my solo game app, so version 29 is the first hybred app, and Ive finished now and I like time to play for me :) I'm glad your keeping an eye on it, hope it has some use to you at some point.

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on August 24, 2016, 03:39:24 PM
Nevertheless, I always thought this kind of big multi-function card deck was the most efficient way to go when it came to game-related randomization.  Much faster than rolling + tables, and you can fit tons of stuff on each one, as you've noticed.

doing away with tables looks good with these sorts of decks, you've opened-up my realm of gaming.

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on August 24, 2016, 06:34:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 24, 2016, 03:39:24 PM

doing away with tables looks good with these sorts of decks, you've opened-up my realm of gaming.

Excellent.   :)

I didn't think I could properly describe the card deck randomization I was thinking of, before.  These decks are a great example of it, though.  Picture worth a thousand words.  O0

________

Just ordered a physical deck of the Base Set.   

The PDF came at no extra cost beyond that, which is always appreciated and should be done more often.

I've ordered a custom set of game cards, online, before.  They were quite nice.  I expect these to be about the same quality, although possibly missing the extra linen finish.  Will comment when they arrive (1-2 weeks).

Nefaro

The same creator(s) also released a more recent deck that contains hundreds of picture & symbol combos, for similar use.

8)

The Deck Of Tales:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178039/The-Deck-of-Tales

They sent a list of similar stuff from the same people, when I got confirmation of my first deck being shipped.   Which will be the shortest shipping time ever because, evidently, their card manufacturer is located on the other side of my city.  ^-^

Nefaro

The physical cards are very nice.   O0

The base Apprentice deck comes as 60 double-sided cards.  Fairly thick, but flexible, poker style cards.  They don't have a linen finish, but it's also not a cheap one, and has some decent texturing.

I'll definitely use DriveThru's card printing services again, without any hesitation regarding quality.  I hope their on-demand book printing is similarly good.

Every card in the deck is cut perfectly even; the exact same size thoughout.  You'd be surprised how often boardgame decks are cut unevenly, which makes me rage.  :knuppel2:

gameleaper

Sounds like its worth buying the cards, I want Upfront but its in a diff country so I may pass.