Main Menu

Coup in Turkey?

Started by SirAndrewD, July 15, 2016, 03:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Hope this does not turn into a long civil war like Syria.

Staggerwing

I hope I'm wrong but I'm getting the sense that Erdogan and his apparatus are gaining the upper hand.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

And of course Obama HAS to get involved supporting the "Democratically Elected" government. Even I know Erdogan stole his election to President. Like the whole world has to be told by Obama who to be for and who to be against. I wish that guy would go back to talking about girls and boys using the same bathroom.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 15, 2016, 09:58:31 PM
And of course Obama HAS to get involved supporting the "Democratically Elected" government. Even I know Erdogan stole his election to President. Like the whole world has to be told by Obama who to be for and who to be against. I wish that guy would go back to talking about girls and boys using the same bathroom.

Our prez seems hell bent on being a complete douche nozzle for the remainder of his time in office.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Pinetree

Sounds like it's all over. This will give Erdogan all the reasons he needs to get rid of all those in the military who are critical of his regime.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

MikeGER

Quote from: Pinetree on July 15, 2016, 11:33:31 PM
Sounds like it's all over. This will give Erdogan all the reasons he needs to get rid of all those in the military who are critical of his regime.

sadly not only in the military but also in the whole society :(   

Barthheart

So.... What if the "coup" was setup to get the Prez even more powers?  ???

BBC reporting that almost 3000 judges are also being ousted along with the almost 3000 military arrested.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2016, 07:07:07 AM

BBC reporting that almost 3000 judges are also being ousted along with the almost 3000 military arrested.

Or maybe Erdogan's people got wind of the impending coup and let it happen anyway after insuring that the plotters were isolated from the rest of the military. What better set up to suspend rule of law could you ask for?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 16, 2016, 07:29:39 AM

Or maybe Erdogan's people got wind of the impending coup and let it happen anyway after insuring that the plotters were isolated from the rest of the military. What better set up to suspend rule of law could you ask for?

Sir Slash

If the Turkish military couldn't do any better than this, it makes you wonder how capable they are at all anymore. This is like back to the WWI failure standard.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 15, 2016, 03:41:44 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 15, 2016, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 15, 2016, 03:27:39 PM
Just saw that.  Hopefully if the coup succeeds, the new rulers will be less hard-asses than Erdogan...and no hard-line Islamics either.

Islamists seizing power in Turkey would be bad on levels I don't really even want to comprehend.

Which could be why the military may be attempting to seize power, to shut-down the current pro-Islamic government.
That's what I am reading.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 16, 2016, 07:29:39 AM

It was already on the way out. Erdogan wants an Islamic dictatorship, and that is what he will get. His actions against IS are negligible compared to the YPG and YPJ who ARE actually fighting IS. In point of fact, Turkey has struck at the Kurds who are fighting IS! Draw your own conclusions, especially since there is evidence that the Russian aircraft shot down was targeting an IS fuel convoy, and it is rumoured Erdogan's son had an interest in it.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-releases-proof-turkey-is-smuggling-isis-oil-over-its-border-a6757651.html
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Boggit on July 16, 2016, 11:21:50 AM

It was already on the way out. Erdogan wants an Islamic dictatorship, and that is what he will get. His actions against IS are negligible compared to the YPG and YPJ who ARE actually fighting IS. In point of fact, Turkey has struck at the Kurds who are fighting IS! Draw your own conclusions, especially since there is evidence that the Russian aircraft shot down was targeting an IS fuel convoy, and it is rumoured Erdogan's son had an interest in it.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-releases-proof-turkey-is-smuggling-isis-oil-over-its-border-a6757651.html

It seems that way.  My first worry when I heard about this were Erdogan or even more hardline elements being behind things.  From the images and info coming out, I'm not sure Erdogan was actually behind what happened, and it was the secularists, but the end result is almost going to be the same as if he had "false flagged" it. 

It's a shame the secularists didn't have a more firm plan.   I guess they'd hoped more of the police and military would've declared for them once they got the ball rolling.  As it is they've just made things worse it seems.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GJK

Playing some Twilight Struggle 2016....

Ok, I'm going to do a Coup attempt in Turkey....stability number is only a 1, doubles to 2.  Playing my "Hillary survives FBI probe" card for the OP points (3)....<dice roll>....ugh, whiffed that one.  Ok, Coup attempt fails.  That will now trigger the event and that's where we're at folks.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

MikeGER

i would like to bring a new unmentioned point into the discussion that puzzle me.

the firstmost action when doing a coup is a "decapitation strike" against the ruling President and his lieutenants, isn't it?

(that does not has to be literally gruessome bloody as it sounds, just 'neutralize' his security detail, catch him, and put him under house detention in a luxury mannor in your best controlled area (or the barracks), and air a picture or a small vid where he sits unharmed, well comped and clothed in leisure wear at a table having a dinner plate under the guard of heavy armed and extrem bulky soldiers left and right... it is import to show: you are in control, but you leave him his human dignity... so his followers don't go totally apeshit because he was dangling strung up by his nutsack from a cellar ceiling or such)

there was no real news about an attempt, or they were looking in the wrong spot and raiding the wrong compounds in the wrong city.

this supports the theory:
Erdogan was well known for having good and trusty intelligence information whats going on inside his ottoman realm through several sources, also his family clan members and all their networks, an assortment of informants and paid double agents....its still the Orient, after all!
So its possible he knew about the upcoming coup, took silent precautions and preparation, let the coup happen, stopped the coup quit fast in its track, and now feast on the fallout of the situation.... and is now pretty much the ottoman kingpin with an Islamic overtaste he always liked to become.

Unfortunately for the West he is sitting in a global strategic position that neither the USA (which wants to keep the access to airbases, harbors, and not much talked about listening posts close to Russia) nor the weak and splintered EU can do much against him getting his will. (he can reopen the "refugee vent" in notime and Greek islands -and so in the longrun the EU- gets flooded with thousends of so called 'refugees' a day! again)

The only thing that people in the West themself now can do that may work is to stay away as tourist and avoid Turk goods as much as possible. So the Turks in-country get unhappy blame it on Erdogans and his clan and ruling party and throw them out of the office in the next ballot so clearly that even manipulation will not work... followed by riots and strike when he ignores the ballot at all and just open declares his Ottoman realm dictatorship.