Main Menu

Coup in Turkey?

Started by SirAndrewD, July 15, 2016, 03:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

State TV is apparently only showing a documentary about Azerbaijan. Looks like it might be under military control, or at least not under state control.

Being careful what I say or ask my Turkish friend. Don't want to leave any digital trail he could get in trouble later over.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Quote from: steve58 on July 15, 2016, 04:08:29 PM
Apparently Erdogan is/was out of the country...

USA Today added that the location of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan is unknown; he was on vacation when this action was executed.

A likely time for a coup then...

steve58

Quote from: panzerde on July 15, 2016, 04:13:03 PM

USA Today added that the location of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan is unknown; he was on vacation when this action was executed.

Indeed  :)

Hope your friend comes out of this unscathed/OK...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on July 15, 2016, 04:15:54 PM
Quote from: panzerde on July 15, 2016, 04:13:03 PM

Indeed  :)

Hope your friend comes out of this unscathed/OK...

+1 on your friend. 

With things in the balance it's probably best for anyone on the ground over there to be very very quiet and neutral until the smoke clears.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

panzerde

I was quite surprised to see him online. Aside from not wanting to cause him problems, I don't see it as really my place to make political comments to someone in another country the middle of a coup in any case.  :crazy2:

But yes, were I him I'd be keeping my mouth shut!

MikeGER

If the coup succeed that can be a good thing because the generals (at least in in the past) were known for being non-ilsmistic, while Erdogan was steering Turkey society into more Islamic minded waters.

Well, if the coup fails we will have a 'proximity dictatorship' of Erdogan with Erdogan's relatives and marionettes in leading positions and Turkey will went down faster on the track he has planed... 

btw: we have 1.5 Million Turks in Germany  (which is waaay to much!)  so i hope there is no civilwar in Turkey and the pro and contra groups also kind of import their conflicts onto our streets

Barthheart

News here says Prez was on vacation in country, some place called Marmeress(?).

Seems coup has failed. Led by some small faction in military not the whole org.

Barthheart

Well... Seems Military are claiming control of country... While Prez says his cronies are in control...?

All social media shutdown in country.

Curfew in place... Prez calling for people to defy it and fill the streets.....

panzerde

Yep, my friend is now marked Away on Steam. Don't know if that's because he's sensibly hunkered down or what. Doesn't look like he's been cut off from the Internet, though.

bob48

Mrs B has a guy from Istanbul in her WoW guild - he says that he can hear gunfire and the situation is still confused, but he's staying at home and trying to make sense of the news reports.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Erdogan has been gathering power to make himself unassailable and turning Turkey into an Islamic state.  Now, if that's the religion you choose, that's up to you.  But if it leads to less freedom for its citizens, then I think it's a terrible way to govern.  And I hope that secular, democratic power is returned.  Coup or no coup.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Pinetree

I've been wondering how long it would take before the military would do something. They nearly always step in if they feel a government is not following Ataturks's principles of Kemalism. Erdogan was definitely leading Turkey away from those.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Staggerwing

Erdogan has built up a substantial cult following among the populace and has also sacked many secular military officials and replaced them with cronies. I fear that the current Turkish military establishment is now fragmented and nothing like the Ataturk ideal of decades past. If the current coup leaders become effectively isolated from the rest of the Turkish military's command structure by Erdogan's loyalists they won't last long.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 15, 2016, 07:10:47 PM
Erdogan has built up a substantial cult following among the populace and has also sacked many secular military officials and replaced them with cronies. I fear that the current Turkish military establishment is now fragmented and nothing like the Ataturk ideal of decades past. If the current coup leaders become effectively isolated from the rest of the Turkish military's command structure by Erdogan's loyalists they won't last long.

That's my biggest concern here, that the coup leaders don't have enough support in the military to pull this off. The worst situation would be a full breakdown into civil war, but I'd be surprised to see that. Far more likely that they might have some initial success and then be overwhelmed when Erdogan manages to rally some loyalist forces over the next couple of days.

I hope that the majority of the military is behind this, and all of it can be concluded quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible.

Wes

"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert