Main Menu

Coup in Turkey?

Started by SirAndrewD, July 15, 2016, 03:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Just started seeing this popping up on social media.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

Anyone hearing anything else on this?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

steve58

Just saw that.  Hopefully if the coup succeeds, the new rulers will be less hard-asses than Erdogan...and no hard-line Islamics either.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on July 15, 2016, 03:27:39 PM
Just saw that.  Hopefully if the coup succeeds, the new rulers will be less hard-asses than Erdogan...and no hard-line Islamics either.

Islamists seizing power in Turkey would be bad on levels I don't really even want to comprehend.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Centurion40

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 15, 2016, 03:29:43 PM

Islamists seizing power in Turkey would be bad on levels I don't really even want to comprehend.

Which could be why the military may be attempting to seize power, to shut-down the current pro-Islamic government.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 15, 2016, 03:41:44 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 15, 2016, 03:29:43 PM

Which could be why the military may be attempting to seize power, to shut-down the current pro-Islamic government.

No way to tell right now.  Erdogan is certainly no gem when it comes to pro-democracy. 

Seeing reports now where the military and government are issuing contrary statements of being in control. 

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

panzerde

Bizarrely, this is pretty much how Kemal Attaturk set things up to function there. I remember at least a one, maybe two other times this has happened in my lifetime. The current situation, with Erdogan's government being able to pretty much suppress the power of the military, is an aberration.

Now, let's hope that this is the usual secular military trying to steer stuff back to a more mainstream course than a group trying to out-fanatic the current Islamic hardliners in Erdogan's government.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

SirAndrewD

Quote from: panzerde on July 15, 2016, 03:48:25 PM
Bizarrely, this is pretty much how Kemal Attaturk set things up to function there. I remember at least a one, maybe two other times this has happened in my lifetime. The current situation, with Erdogan's government being able to pretty much suppress the power of the military, is an aberration.

Now, let's hope that this is the usual secular military trying to steer stuff back to a more mainstream course than a group trying to out-fanatic the current Islamic hardliners in Erdogan's government.

It is starting to seem like it's the secular military. 

panzerde

Yep, definitely looking that way. Trying to raise a Steam buddy that's a Turk, see if he's ok and has anymore news.

panzerde

Says he hears gunfire in the distance. He believes that the coup has most probably failed

panzerde

My friend says most of the fighting is around the General Staff HQ. He's about 10 mi away. Says he hears very heavy gunfire now.

steve58

Well, if it fails, Turkey will be worse off (if it was a secular military coup).  Erdogan will take this as an opportunity to crack down harder that he has...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on July 15, 2016, 04:03:44 PM
Well, if it fails, Turkey will be worse off (if it was a secular military coup).  Erdogan will take this as an opportunity to crack down harder that he has...

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. 

Fighting at the General Staff HQ doesn't seem to indicate success.

steve58

Apparently Erdogan is/was out of the country...

USA Today added that the location of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan is unknown; he was on vacation when this action was executed.