Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

sandman2575

Last time I looked forward to any game with this much excitement and anticipation -- HoI3 in 2009 
(Maybe not the best precedent -- but I'm convinced Pdox won't repeat the debacle of the HoI3 launch)

bbmike

Wait, go read the Stellaris thread first...  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Kushan

Quote from: bbmike on May 13, 2016, 01:24:53 PM

Don't listen to the idiots claiming Stellaris is another HoI 3. Sure, some of the mechanics might not make people happy but its hardly the bug filled mess HoI 3 was on release. The stutter bug that many had on day one was hot fixed within 24 hours of release.

I've never played an of the HoI games, and despite my lack of interest in yet another WW2 game, I'm really looking forward to HoI IV. I went back read some of the older dev diaries, but a lot of those are from last year and I'm not sure how current those mechanics are now.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Kushan on May 13, 2016, 01:58:45 PM

Don't listen to the idiots claiming Stellaris is another HoI 3. Sure, some of the mechanics might not make people happy but its hardly the bug filled mess HoI 3 was on release. The stutter bug that many had on day one was hot fixed within 24 hours of release.

I've never played an of the HoI games, and despite my lack of interest in yet another WW2 game, I'm really looking forward to HoI IV. I went back read some of the older dev diaries, but a lot of those are from last year and I'm not sure how current those mechanics are now.

Nobody in the GH Stellaris thread is claiming it is another HOI3 in terms of bugs. Only that the current state of the game is a big let down from initial expectations and prerelease hype. Careful who you call an idiot around here.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2016, 02:08:47 PM

Nobody in the GH Stellaris thread is claiming it is another HOI3 in terms of bugs. Only that the current state of the game is a big let down from initial expectations and prerelease hype. Careful who you call an idiot around here.  :crazy2:

I agree with JH....the disappointment being posted with Stellaris is a direct measure of the prerelease hype and resulting very high expectations. I'm not saying there will or won't be disappointment with HoI4...but the prerelease hype and expectations are very similar to those first posted in the Stellaris thread.

OJsDad

Quote from: Rayfer on May 13, 2016, 02:53:41 PM

I agree with JH....the disappointment being posted with Stellaris is a direct measure of the prerelease hype and resulting very high expectations. I'm not saying there will or won't be disappointment with HoI4...but the prerelease hype and expectations are very similar to those first posted in the Stellaris thread.

One more thought, Stellaris is a complete departure from anything that Paradox has done before.  HOI4 isn't just their fourth try on WWII, but is more in line with the type of games they're traditionally done. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on May 13, 2016, 03:04:17 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 13, 2016, 02:53:41 PM

One more thought, Stellaris is a complete departure from anything that Paradox has done before.  HOI4 isn't just their fourth try on WWII, but is more in line with the type of games they're traditionally done.

Not to mention, its probably a totally different development team, since the titles were obviously undergoing joint development. I'm definitely hyped for HOI IV.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

glen55

[/quote]

[/quote]

But the 1st 3 tries don't give me a lot of optimism.  After tremendous excitement over the first two iterations, I never even bought HOI 3 (even though its $10 at GOG right now).

When HOI 4 comes out, the first place I'll look to in the reviews is naval war, especially aircraft carriers.  I don't rule out buying it just for the land war if it's really all that and a bag of chips, but as a guy whose first interest in a WW2 sim is playing as the US, HOI has never floated my boat.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sandman2575

I have no doubt that when HoI4 launches, there will be problems with certain mechanics, some of which people on the Pdox forums will lose their heads over, combined with the inevitable whinging about "why was X left out?" and "Y is modeled completely ahistorically!).

None of that will faze me. True I'm not quite as impressed with Stellaris as I thought I would be, though I still think it's an excellent game that will only improve over time. But HoI4 is going to change the landscape of ww2 strategy gaming. I really think it's going to be revolutionary, and the best in the HoI series.

Pollyanna-ish maybe, but I'm a true believer when it comes to this game.  :D

bbmike

And June 6 is almost here!!!  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Ian C

Anyone remember the 'demo' for HOI 3 they released? They released the full game by mistake. That was a hoot.

I think the quality of games upon release has improved over the past couple of years following some notable fiascos. It seems that Quality Assurance has become a prerequisite fairly recently. Maybe because companies now realise that gamers don't take crap and also how harmful bad reviews can be.

It seems recent negativity is more like "I didn't expect the game to be like this" rather than "this is broken".

OJsDad

I agree with that Ian.  The whole design decisions will never make everyone happy, so those will always be an issue.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Swatter

Judging by the YouTube videos released by the developers that demonstrate gameplay, we have a lot to be excited about. It looks like many of the complex game elements from HOI 3 have been refined and recast into mutually exclusive trees. This is a good idea. They also want to put a focus on letting the AI manage your armies. Not sure if that will work, but I welcome the effort. Designing units seems to be more fleshed out in this version, including designing your own vehicles. I also greatly like how they graphically show the frontlines and the ability to create plans with arrows that represent objectives to be captured.

I can promise you, there is no illusion of depth here- this game will be complicated even with all the streamlining. It looks like the unit hierarchy is mostly gone and I honestly don't mind that even though I really enjoyed aspects of it. Organizing units into theaters should be enough detail for me. Having said all those good things, I believe it will be buggy on release. They always are and I have no reason to think otherwise this time. One thing I truly hope they fix from HOI3 is how replacements instantly reach the front, rendering wars a battle of manpower pools.

bbmike

It is another insta-buy for me.  O0
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak