From Russia With Love GB (Su-27SM)

Started by JudgeDredd, January 16, 2016, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

JD's first aftermarket parts.  its like watching a child grow up.  :'(
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Good god...so long since I put this to the side.

In truth I've been worrying about painting - shades, issues with the airbrush etc, etc...but it's just sucked the life out the enjoyment...so I've decided "screw it" and just get the bugger done!

These were actually primed about 2 months ago

I've been fretting over the colour. The instructions say some sort of grey (mix of colours) for the cockpit, but I've seen pictures showing blue - so I was in turmoil over that. Then once I decided I was going to do the blue colour, I started worrying about how I was going to get the right blue...as it is, I still don't, but I'm going to have a trial tonight for the cockpit and behind the cockpit

The cockpit is the standard pit and the standard seat. I had bought resin (which I have never done before) but I thought the standard was better than the resin for both the pit and the seat.
I did use a couple of pieces of the resin for the side panels

And the beautiful weapons this plane holds
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

That Russian Sky Blue color is pretty weird.  Close to a baby blue color, but with a hint of some slight aqua color in it.    ???

Was looking over my paint colors awhile back, also wondering if I could mix something close to it using what I had.  Got some MiG and Sukhoi minis that could use it on the bottom of the aircraft.  May end up just getting a bottle of something very close, if not some actual Russkie Blue, eventually.

JudgeDredd

I've been fretting so much over the colour I decided sod it - I'm putting paint on.

As it happens, I found a colour in my Vallejo and just decided to use that - unblemished. I had trouble with Vallejo paints when I first got them...turns out it may well be my mixing technique. So I mixed the paint with thinner in a cup before putting it in the airbrush...didn't get a blockage.

This is it...no going back. I'm done.  I've never been a "rivet" guy anyway...close enough is generally what I aim for.

And this was "the shade"
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

The Vallejo paints of that sort are thick enough for brush use.  Hell, I slightly thin them even then. 

I'd imagine you need to thin them quite a bit for an airbrush. 

Although much of Vallejo's primer colors seem pre-thinned for air brushes.  I generally use brush-on primer for minis due to widely varying humidity & temp here, and the only Vallejo primer that has been thick enough for that use was a bottle of Black (not the gray or white I've tried).

JudgeDredd

And it starts....

....looking at other images, the colour seems to be a more green/blue - so I may well be revisiting this!!  :-[
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Maybe this will help:

Here are some Russian WW2 colors for a start (with a link in the image I'm too lazy to type in the url bar):

(above from a thread at https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/russian-interior-design.16187/)

I got to see the interior of a Russian missile boat on display in the Fall River Museum (Battleship Cove, Massachusetts) and remember seeing that the metal surfaces were also painted with that weird blue primer. as opposed to the US ships' green zinc primer.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Yeah - it was a similar photo I found - thanks
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

You going to include the duct tape around the bottom of the stick?  ^-^

JudgeDredd

I think I've nailed it.

A mix of Tamiya paints - XF-23 (Light Blue), XF-71 (Cockpit Green) and a touch of X-14 (Sky Blue) - no measurements I'm afraid...I winged it.

What it was...

How it turned out

What it was...

How it turned out

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Weapons painted in their main colour...touch ups to come (metal/black etc)

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Looks like you got that Russian Blue color done well.   O0

Especially the way it looks on the top fuselage piece.  Probably brighter light on it in the pic than the others.

JudgeDredd

Thing is, I could've bought a set of Russian aircraft colours...but I thought I'd be tight.

Especially annoying as I love the look of these Russian aircraft, so I'll likely buy a few more!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

4 holes drilled on each wing and the back end glued on

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

The seat was looking a tad bland, so I put some white tack on it and some "hatching" markings in it...just a wee bit of xtra detail. I tried to put some tape seatbelts on, but my fat fingers won't let me  :'(

Alba gu' brath