Star Trek Beyond - Trailer

Started by OJsDad, December 15, 2015, 08:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 14, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 14, 2016, 10:09:18 PM
Finally watched this. They saved the galaxy with a Beastie Boys song. Beyond stupid.

Still haven't seen it. Does it turn out to be an NX-class ship that they resurect?

Yep, the Franklin if I recall (though I have zero idea of the line of ships in the ST canon from that era).

It was pretty dumb, because it was meant for a mass audience of lower common denominators, but I checked my brain in at the door before seeing it. I'd heard some bad reviews about it before we went and didn't have high expectations. The entire music angle was kind of dumb and ham-fisted throughout. Didn't they play Fight The Power at some point, too?  ::)

mirth

Finally watched this. They saved the galaxy with a Beastie Boys song. Beyond stupid.

Still haven't seen it. Does it turn out to be an NX-class ship that they resurect?

It's an NX-class ship or the Abramsverse equivalent.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I'd seen ST: Enterprise last year (all five seasons in a binge watching event) and I was kind of surprised how the NX ship wasn't Abramized at all...but again I'm no Star Trek neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie. 

Maybe just zoom-dweebie. But not neo-maxi. :nerd:

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 14, 2016, 10:16:55 PM

Yep, the Franklin if I recall (though I have zero idea of the line of ships in the ST canon from that era).

It was pretty dumb, because it was meant for a mass audience of lower common denominators, but I checked my brain in at the door before seeing it. I'd heard some bad reviews about it before we went and didn't have high expectations. The entire music angle was kind of dumb and ham-fisted throughout. Didn't they play Fight The Power at some point, too?  ::)

I'm surprised they didn't throw in Intergalactic.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 14, 2016, 10:23:56 PM
I'd seen ST: Enterprise last year (all five seasons in a binge watching event) and I was kind of surprised how the NX ship wasn't Abramized at all...but again I'm no Star Trek neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie. 

Maybe just zoom-dweebie. But not neo-maxi. :nerd:

It's not exactly the same model as the NX-01 Enterprise. The Franklin supposedly predates the NX-01.

There's a whole backstory for it:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Franklin

BanzaiCat

The fourth Star Trek film is in the works, but that was announced just before ST: Beyond came out.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/paramount-fourth-star-trek-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-1201816258/

Variety's website sucks - I'm surprised it can run at all with all the ad scripts they have going. So:

QuoteParamount Pictures, Skydance and Bad Robot have announced a fourth film in the rebooted  "Star Trek" series, starring Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth.

The studio made the announcement Monday, four days before it launches "Star Trek Beyond," disclosing that Pine's Captain Kirk will cross paths with his father, described as "a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born."

Hemsworth, who appeared in 2009's "Star Trek," will return to the space saga in the father role as George Kirk. The remaining cast — which includes Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho and Simon Pegg — is expected to return.

The late Anton Yelchin, who died June 19, had played the Chekov character in the three reboots.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will write the screenplay. J.J. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance will executive produce.

The announcement did not indicate who will direct. Justin Lin directed "Star Trek Beyond" from a script by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.

"Star Trek" grossed $380 million worldwide in 2009 and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" earned $460 million worldwide. "Star Trek Beyond" — the 13th film in the series dating back to 1979's "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" — will make its premiere at Comic-Con on Wednesday in San Diego.

Hemsworth is currently starring in "Ghostbusters" alongside Melissa McCarthy, Kristin Wiig and Kate McKinnon, and filming "Thor: Ragnorak" and "Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1" back to back. He is repped by CAA and ROAR.

I still think what a terrible thing it was for Yelchin to die so young and in such a dumb way...poor guy. Inevitably though I gotta wonder if they're doing a fourth movie if they're just going to write the character out or bring in another actor.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on November 14, 2016, 10:29:44 PM
It's not exactly the same model as the NX-01 Enterprise. The Franklin supposedly predates the NX-01.

Memory Alpha is a cool site, but damn, those nerds have waaaay too much time on their hands.

(Says the guy writing silly AARs.)

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 14, 2016, 10:31:42 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 14, 2016, 10:29:44 PM

Memory Alpha is a cool site, but damn, those nerds have waaaay too much time on their hands.

(Says the guy writing silly AARs.)

I have to admit, I was curious about the differences/similarities between the Franklin and the NX-01 designs. The movie had a couple of cool nods to the Enterprise show time period. That's about all the good I can say about it though.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on November 14, 2016, 10:35:35 PM
I have to admit, I was curious about the differences/similarities between the Franklin and the NX-01 designs. The movie had a couple of cool nods to the Enterprise show time period. That's about all the good I can say about it though.

Not having seen the movie, the only thing I can say about it is
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on November 15, 2016, 06:28:40 AM
Quote from: mirth on November 14, 2016, 10:35:35 PM

Not having seen the movie, the only thing I can say about it is

Having seen it, I cannot disagree. I enjoyed Into Darkness more and that was not a great movie.

Karl Urban was still awesome as McCoy. He's been the bright spot of the Abrams movies.

Sir Slash

So I finally caught this one tonight and I can sum-up the film in 4 words. "Really, really, REALLY terrible". It fails at every attempt to be either funny, dramatic, sad or shocking. A silly plot and.... (SPOILER ALERT) the Enterprise gets destroyed! Who thought THAT was a good idea? I agree Urban's 'Mc Coy' was likeable but the rest were just asleep. Worst scene was the 'Alien Head' girl scene. She needed to be hit with a phaser and not set on stun. Damn. Take me back to saving the whales will you?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

I watched some of it a few weeks back (it's free for me on Amazon Prime). I made it to the part where "Kirk" finds a dirt bike. A DIRT BIKE. That was more than enough.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I never, ever thought I'd wish we could go back to this

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces