Star Wars: Rebellion

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, November 03, 2015, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I'n betting you can get a few folks at Origins to set up an evening game with you :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Bring it and it will be played!

:D

bbmike

No, no, no! My goal is to bring home games from Origins, not take them to Origins!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on May 18, 2017, 06:07:34 PM
No, no, no! My goal is to bring home games from Origins, not take them to Origins!

You can do both!

JudgeDredd

Started playing this tonight with my daughter. Very much enjoying the mechanics. Still fumbling through the rules - but they're getting there with gameplay.

Really enjoying it so far  O0
Alba gu' brath

Cyrano

But remember, if you come to Origins and convince someone to buy a game they hadn't planned on purchasing...

PUNCHINTHEFACE!!
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

W8taminute

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game JD.  It really is fun.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

So - quick question...

...is it just me or does the Rebel Alliance have a bugger of a job in this game?

• They don't get loyalty automatically when activating a system whereas the Empire does (well - subjugation)
  • They start off with only one system with units on it whereas the Empire has MANY
  • If they want to transport units out of their Rebel Base, they have to do it in an adjacent system - giving up the base (just about) - unless they get a Mission card that helps them
  • Because of the layout - the Empire gets lots of units - initially at least

Watching a video of two people playing, and the Rebel player is really struggling and the Empire player is letting her off with a fair bit

They just seem a bit hobbled - in terms of startup and numbers. I guess that's how it is in the universe though.
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's supposed to be asymmetrical.  You've got to husband your units until you've built enough to do some hit and run raids against weaker systems.   The main thing is that, beyond the starting leaders, Rebel heroes tend to be much more capable than the Imperial ones.  Use them to conduct missions that get you closer to being able to play objective cards and which tie down Imperial units by forcing the Empire to respond to your missions by playing one of their leaders in a system with a lot of Imperial units so they can't move.  And remember if the Impies get too close to your base, you've always got access to the card that lets you relocate to another planet.   

JudgeDredd

Thanks  O0

My daughter is playing the rebels and I have to be honest, doing a better job than the rebel player in that game - though we are 3 turns in, haven't engaged in combat yet AND been playing wrong (when she activates a system, she's been putting a Loyalty marker down - giving her more units each "even" turn).

She might be a bit disheartened when she finds out how carefully tactical she has to be - she likes battles  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

7 turns in and I found the rebel scum...Dantooine.

Unfortunately, I had the Death Star, 1 AT-ST and 2 Tie Fighters against 2 Rebel Troopers, 2 Y-Wings and an X-Wing and her leader had better Tactic cards.

It ended with me just having the Death Star in the system and her having the X-Wing - so it's still in Rebel hands!
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

Dantooine?!  Dantooine's too remote for an effective demonstration.

(Blow up Naboo.  You know you want to.)

Bison

I want you to blow the hell out of the that planet.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 05, 2017, 07:15:52 PM

Uranus?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Quote from: mirth on June 05, 2017, 07:17:38 PM
Quote from: Bison on June 05, 2017, 07:15:52 PM

Uranus?

That's not cannon.  What do you work for Disney now?