Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

A question for all you Trek-perts. In the original series, the episode where the guy with the black cat trying to stop the U.S. from putting nukes in space, and Kirk and company had to help him? Was there ever an explanation for who he was or where he came from? The future or some advanced race? Was there ever a follow-on in the other series or books with him showing-up again or who he was working for? Or do we just not know anything about him?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

That was Gary Seven. The episode was Assignment: Earth. There were a couple of novels about Gary Seven that were pretty good. If you are interested I can look up the titles. They do sort of explain some background information. The episode was actually a pilot for another TV series by Roddenberry but it didn't get picked up.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Here we go: Assignment: Eternity. A good read.

[edit]He also appeared in The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh. I didn't like those books though.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

BONUS:

Here's out cat dressed for Halloween as Gary Seven's cat Isis.  :nerd:

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on October 23, 2017, 02:30:33 PM
I wasn't thrilled with this week's Sarek storyline and the further retconning of the Sarek family history or the retconning of the Vulcans in general. I do like the actor cast as young Sarek, but I'd rather they stop with that particular storyline (which clearly the are intending to make a major part of the show). It undermines the rest of the story, imo.

Agreed.  I mean, Sarek LIED!  As Spock so often tells us "Vulcans are incapable of lying".   While I understand that his blanket statements of what Vulcans are and are not capable of are sort of hyperbolic and misleading, the lie Sarek told was pretty bold faced and not falling into the typical Vulcan loopholes of omission, half truths or exaggeration.

Further, Sarek's lie did nothing positive for anyone in his family.  He was faced with an illogical ultimatum from the Vulcan Science Academy, and he made the only logical choice when faced with his decision.  His lie did nothing to make Burnham feel better, if anything it made her feel far worse.   He also lied to Amanda, which is just a stunning act for the character. 

I know that Sarek hid a lot of strong emotions for his family beneath his logical veneer, but part of the arc of his character is that he never broke that veneer until his body and mind was literally falling apart.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

I'm not sure he made the logical choice in any case. There was no guarantee Spock would or could accept a later appointment with the VSA. The logical choice would have been to give the slot to Burnham and then address the issue with. Spock when it was his time.

Anyway the entire story line involves such maasive retconning of the characters' histories that it is utterly ridiculous. Burnham must have some seriously bad shit ahead of her to never be so much as mentioned by any member of the Sarek clan in the future.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

So, had the Admiral's mission gone well, would Lorca have attempted to arrange an "accident" for her upon her return?
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

I'm wondering if he had information that it definitely would not go well.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on October 23, 2017, 04:33:14 PM
I'm not sure he made the logical choice in any case. There was no guarantee Spock would or could accept a later appointment with the VSA. The logical choice would have been to give the slot to Burnham and then address the issue with. Spock when it was his time.

Anyway the entire story line involves such maasive retconning of the characters' histories that it is utterly ridiculous. Burnham must have some seriously bad shit ahead of her to never be so much as mentioned by any member of the Sarek clan in the future.

I think you may be right from a purely logical standpoint. 

Where I was thinking that Sarek could defend the Spock choice came from the sheer illogic of the VSA's ultimatum to him.  From his standpoint he may logically conclude that Spock would have the better chance given the apparent, and very un-vulcan, xenophobia being exhibited.  Spock, as at least half Vulcan might stand a better chance of success, while Burnham might thrive more in Starfleet service. 

But you're right, he hadn't consulted Spock, and clearly we know from canon that Spock's decision wasn't what Sarek desired. 

I think Sarek could've defended either decision with logic.  What can't be defended was the meaningless lie.

I have no defense for the writers making this decision with Sarek's family.  Sadly, it's the way they decided to make it.  Only thing I can say is that Spock and Sarek were so private that Kirk didn't even know who Spock's parents were until they were standing in front of him in Journey to Babel.  Still, that's a pretty weak defense considering how much of the history of the house of Sarek came out after that moment.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bbmike

^I'm not reading any of those posts above. I still might binge watch this after the last episode of the season airs in November. And then I'll let you all know just how wrong and bad it is.  :arr:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

When you think about it, it does stretch the limits of belief that Kirk wouldn't have known that his half-Vulcan first oficer was the son of the Vulcan ambassador and the ambassador's Terran wife.

SirAndrewD

You'd think that little tidbit would've been in his personnel file.

mirth

Vulcans must be really good at keeping things out of the press.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bbmike on October 23, 2017, 04:55:51 PM
^I'm not reading any of those posts above. I still might binge watch this after the last episode of the season airs in November. And then I'll let you all know just how wrong and bad it is.  :arr:

SPOILER! Spock is Kirk's father with Q who is played by a transgender Bruce Vilanch.

GDS_Starfury

Playboy is going to have a transgender centerfold so........  sure.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.