Main Menu

Endless Space 2

Started by tgb, July 30, 2015, 10:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I think that style of game and engine worked best in "endless legends". Probably the best fantasy 4x Around
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

The original Endless Space was one of the early games in the turn-based 4X indie onslaught that struck in recent years, each with varying levels of success.

I thought it was on higher quality end of the spectrum, considering all those that began flooding the genre in the following years.  Not perfect but I would still play it over most of the other 4X games released in the past few years.  I originally picked it up in early access, 2011 or earlier.  I'll also fire up Stellaris, and maybe DW:U with an ST mod, but those are real-time so they are a bit different.

The complaint I always see about the original ES is the same for all 4X games.  They get more bloated the longer you play.  Thankfully it's UI has decent functionality, and isn't a complete jumbled mess.

Grim.Reaper

Coming up soon for early access...October 6th.

Video

https://youtu.be/MhgquSH68AA

Anguille

It seems the EA will only allow to play for 100 turns (at least initially)....

Going to wait until the game is finished.

bbmike

^ If that's the case, I'll wait with you.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: Anguille on October 05, 2016, 02:34:35 AM
It seems the EA will only allow to play for 100 turns (at least initially)....

Going to wait until the game is finished.

Do you have a link for this? I didn't see that
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Thank you. I had seen discussion on out but not anything from the Devs. I get why they are doing that but man....isn't there a better way to make sure people are testing all elements of all phases of the game instead of just keepin' on with 1 game.

Jarhead0331

Any idea of how long the EA period will last?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

tgb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2016, 01:02:04 PM
Any idea of how long the EA period will last?

Until the game is officially released.

[tgb ducks & covers]

FarAway Sooner

Perusing one of the threads linked above, it sounds like the devs hope to extend the game beyond the first 100 turns at some point during early access, but are currently limiting it to the first 100 turns.

Given that it's early access and thus "buyer beware", I'm not sure that's ground for shooting the developer/publisher, as some folks on that thread seem to want to do.

Reading the thread, it sounds like expectations around project status were set poorly.  Whether that was due to poor project management or poor communications, you can fault the developer for that.  But I don't know that it will have necessary implications for the quality of the end-result game.

Sounds like this one has a ways to go before we can judge what it might be!

mikeck

It's not so much the limitation on the plane as much as it is an indication that a lot he's missing from the game. From what I understand the more advanced stages of the technology tree, more advanced ship builds etc. are simply not in the game yet. I know it is an alpha but we all know that in this day and age alphas eight is used to be. Many early access I'll have everything in place they just need to ED pond and r I know it is an alpha but we all know that in this day and age alphas eight is used to be. Many early access alpha have everything in place they just need to be worked on.

Just makes me wonder what else is not in the game. I like clean early action on most everything is in the game. Not so much when things are missing because I don't know what is missing and therefore what I'm doing wrong. Just me

Grim.Reaper

Pretty sure their previous early access games had initial limits too...didn't have a problem back then for me

Anguille

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 05, 2016, 06:13:09 PM
Pretty sure their previous early access games had initial limits too...didn't have a problem back then for me

I don't think it's a problem either but the communication and information must be transparent (i haven't seen anything on the steam page). This is not really an EA but more a beta-testing (at best).

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Anguille on October 06, 2016, 03:20:38 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 05, 2016, 06:13:09 PM

I don't think it's a problem either but the communication and information must be transparent (i haven't seen anything on the steam page). This is not really an EA but more a beta-testing (at best).

Maybe, don't know.....I guess we'll see soon enough.  Unless the game is super cheap, I don't see myself buying anyway, didn't get much mileage out of previous version.